Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 73

37Blanche, JW49, Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Differential 1940 110 Sedan 1800 series
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
Hi guys, another question.. Had the Packard out yesterday. Under load through all 3 gears, it sounds good. Under no load, or coasting, differential has a heavy vibration and gear sounding chatter. It also causes slight drag on the car when it chatters. Was told by previous owner duff was rebuilt. Any ideals on what could be going on?
Just pulled the drive shaft off and it has one eighth to three sixteenth play in and out at the universal joint flang.

Posted on: 2019/4/21 11:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Differential 1940 110 Sedan 1800 series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you mean there is in-and-out movement or free play in the pinion shaft, then you have significant problems - if it has been that way for long the pinion bearings and perhaps even the ring and pinion gears may be damaged.

I suggest you read the shop manual, not only should the pinion shaft have no free play, it should actually have a preload!! Initially this would have been established by tightening the pinion nut and partially collapsing the crush sleeve sufficient to attain the specified preload.

At this point my recommendation would be to disassemble the differential to see how much damage has been done.

Posted on: 2019/4/21 14:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I'm weighing in here, not because I know very much, but because I just reinstalled my drive shaft and have 'fresh' recollections of the process. The in/out play you refer to - is it end-play in the diff-yoke or the drive shaft-end? My '39 has about that much (spring loaded) play in front yoke of the drive shaft and I had to compress it to get the universal joint seated into the tranny yoke. As Dave says, if it is pinion play, it portends a significant rear-end issue. I know at some point, I am going to have to deal with a rear-end rebuild on my car, just due to it's age and wear, but right now, it is not leaking or making any obnoxious noises, so I am, for better or worse, leaving it be. The thought of an overhaul on it gives me chest pains! And Don, re your 'tilt',am I to understand that the angle the diff-yoke meets the drive shaft is not a straight line?? How much off true is it?? I would think it would be very hard on U-joints if it is in any way excessive!?!?!

Posted on: 2019/4/21 14:46
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Chris, I removed my question from this post (I didn't want to hijack it!) and created one of its own along with a photo, which you can see here. To answer your question, the axle housing was tilted to match so the driveshaft was still inline but lower.

Posted on: 2019/4/21 14:55
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
I bought the car in good faith being told the diff was rebuilt. It has not been on the road until yesterday when I discovered this problem. I'm understanding from this that the pinion shaft can be adjusted...can the pinion shaft nut be adjusted to eliminate the 1/8th end play?
Is it possible the differential was improperly reassembled and could result in this 1/8th end play?

Posted on: 2019/4/21 15:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It just guesswork unless you're willing to go thru the procedure to properly establish the preload on the pinion bearings. To repeat, read the procedure in the shop manual.

Yes, tightening the nut will begin the process of eliminating the free play and will then begin creating the preload. The question becomes, how do I know how much to tighten it unless I go thru the procedure to measure the preload?

Posted on: 2019/4/21 15:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Once the crush sleeve has been crushed, no adjustment is possible so the bests recourse, once you read the manual, is to remove it for proper inspection. If the gears have already been damaged, no amount of tightening is going to fix it.

Posted on: 2019/4/21 15:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
Thanks everyone for your help. I have taken her to an "old fart mechanic" since I'm to old for chest pains. Will keep you posted.....

Posted on: 2019/4/21 19:33
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
Well, I couldn't sleep so went out and tightened the 1 1/4 inch pinion nut one full turn. That took out all end play and she runs great. Had to make thin wall socket to fit in universal joint flang. You Packard folks are the greatest. Thanks for all your help.

Posted on: 2019/4/21 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Congrats, just what I was going to suggest. Now take a punch and stake the nut to the shaft for long term happiness.

Posted on: 2019/4/22 5:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved