Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Argh still overheating 49
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Have you read over this blog from Kanter, I beleive it is very helpful.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16042&forum=4&post_id=160961#forumpost160961

Wees

Posted on: 2019/4/30 9:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
Thanks for the advice. I'll start with the cheap stuff and then move to the expensive stuff. In the mean time, I have started the process of having an aluminum radiator made. No one makes them that I know of, and steel ones are just as expensive if you can find one. As I look at the parts manual, it appears to me that no two radiators for 49s are alike. The one I need is for a 2301 (49 standard 8) manual. I have a trashed one out of a 49 4 door parts car (288) that is an auto. Will they interchange? I'm not too experienced at the parts manual. The custom guys can delete the tranny cooler set up if there is one. My car has been ....cantakerous... so far, and I don't want to spend the money to have the wrong radiator made. That's the sort of thing that is happening with it.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 12:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
In one of your first post you stated that you had the radiator cleaned and flow tested with no issue. So what would be the reason for moving to an aluminum rad? I wouldn't think starting with the "cheap stuff" as in having a new radiator made. As others have stated and suggested above you need to determine the source of your over heating.

I see that you mentioned using an infrared gun on the block looking for hot and cold spots, but did you check the radiator while it was overheating. Use the gun and scan the core for extreme changes in temperature of the core. Colder spots would indicated clogs in the core.You should see a gradual drop in temp working your way down the core.

It would be best to identify the problem instead of guessing and follow the suggestion provided by the users of this forum to aid in diagnosing.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2019/4/30 13:05
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
I've done most of the things in the Kanter entry. I had a similar issue with a 413 in my Dodge 880, did all the cheap stuff, aluminum radiator finally fixed it. I'll look at the rad with the heat gun, tho, which I have not yet done. Its really overheating, steam out of rad cap. Pump appears to be working by observation thru top of rad. Going to have my mechanic verify that its the rad before spending the $, but this car has been cantankerous and it costs nothing to prepare for the worst case. Let's see if the rads interchange while I'm trying the cheap stuff.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 14:25
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
Ok, I have figured the interchange out. There were only 6 chassis, and the cores certainly interchange between chassis. So, my parts radiator from a 2301 sedan will interchange with one from my club sedan, except for the bottom tank. Now I can wait til any other causes are eliminated!

Posted on: 2019/5/1 19:54
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
HH56,
The Ford fan is from a 302 cid V8, it is solid, was fitted with air conditioning, the only modification was to enlarge the center hole to fit the Packard shaft.
I will send photos later,probably not until next week.The bolt holes were actually slots.
The shroud is from a brand x of some description but was the right size for the Packard.
Regards Pepepackard.

Posted on: 2019/5/2 2:29
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
HH56,
I also fitted a modern overflow return bottle and filler cap and neck on the radiator.
Regards Pepepackard.

Posted on: 2019/5/2 2:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Did anyone suggest checking the water distribution tube in the block?? Could it be in wrong way around?
John

Posted on: 2019/5/2 8:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
might try running it without the thermostat-I had an intermittent (new) thermostat

Posted on: 2019/5/2 8:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ignition timing will affect engine operating temperature. Make sure distributor vacuum modulator chamber (advance) is working and not leaking. A leaking chamber will cause retarded timing and a lean fuel mixture which will result in high engine temperature. An easy test and an inexpensive repair, if needed.

Posted on: 2019/5/2 10:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved