Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 92

29tons, JWL, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Argh still overheating 49
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
I had heard so many stories about Packards overheating, I was careful to try and get the block in my '49 as clear as possible during the rebuild short of having to hot-tanked. After the engine was removed from the car but before it was completely disassembled, the water pump was removed along with the cooling tube and casting plugs (welch plugs/freeze plugs) and the holes that might cause excess water to get inside the engine were plugged. Took it outside and used a power washer to flush water jackets. This took quite a while but was able to get most of the loose scale out of the block. The cooling tube was in good shape and it was cleaned inside and out before being re-installed. New casting plugs were installed as well as a new water pump, new radiator hoses and a 180 degree pellet thermostat and the radiator was flushed. Since the car is back on the road, I've had no trouble with overheating. Don't trust the 70 year-old temp gauge so after a few good runs I checked the head, block and radiator with a non-contact thermometer several times and never gotten over 180. The real test came a week ago when I was driving back from a show in Sarasota, there was a wreck on the Sunshine Skyway bridge. I was going 5 MPH for half an hour in mid-80s heat and the only overheating that occurred was myself. I'm confident that if your car is properly tuned and all the components are clean and operating properly, there should not be an inherent overheating problem with your Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (122.97 KB)
8531_5ccc8511275f4.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (173.69 KB)
8531_5ccc851e1ae6a.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (121.49 KB)
8531_5ccc852b3298d.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (172.25 KB)
8531_5ccc8538a34cd.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (160.50 KB)
8531_5ccc8558e4d28.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2019/5/3 13:18
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
Thanks for all of the helpful advice. When I got the car, I took it to the local radiator guy and was under the $400.00 understanding that he had rodded out the radiator. Well, I got an endoscope and put it into the top tank. There I found what appeared to be a cloth like material that had obviously been wet and dried. Since the grill and bumper was off, I pulled the radiator for closer inspection. I got some of it out, and it was essentially dried cloth fibers in the top tank clogging the tubes. So I took it to another place and had it recored. I took the old core and blasted it with the pressure washer, and more cloth like material came out, but not that much. Since the core was trash, I took a steel rod and tried to push the crud out. No dice. 3/4 of the tubes were clogged SOLID. Before putting the new radiator in, I pulled the dist tube, which was in fine shape, and blasted the inside of the engine with the pressure washer. Up thru the water pump opening and out the thermostat neck, and then the other way, until the water ran clear both ways. Then i did it again. Since replacing the water pump is a pain, I replaced that while it was all disassembled. Even got the right hose clamps from Kanter. Put it all back together, and its 179 degrees at the water temp sending unit, about halfway on the gauge. Oh happy day! Notes: Radiator weighs a ton, and getting the lower rad hose on and off is a chore cause there's not much room to deal with the hose clamps. Water pump fits above the engine mount arch, and its a close thing; takes a little English to get the bolts lined up, and one bolt is behind the engine mount arch, and can't be turned with a ratchet; ya gotta use an open end wrench the whole way. The recore is expensive, but it is a common dimension and not a problem to get if you are willing to pay the price. I found a place to make an aluminum radiator, but the meet judges can't possibly miss that, so I opted for the original one. If you have to take out the radiator, paint everything up there while its out because you don't want to have to do it twice.

Rechromed bumpers and grill should be in this week!

Posted on: 2019/6/17 8:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Most likely a mouse nest. I've been following this case but not saying anything because I'd rather let the truth come out than start an argument about shoddy radiator work.

In short, flow tests don't mean very much. Rapid flow through the few open tubes is the same rate as slow flow through all of the tubes.

A cheap infrared thermometer is a big diagnostic help.

Posted on: 2019/6/17 16:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Words of wisdom Tim......there's so much to try and recall when the "problem" strikes us unsuspecting Packard owners. Love this website.
Regards.

Posted on: 2019/6/17 18:20
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
Hello PackardusOctovus,

Welcome to the overheating club, I finally overcome the problem by installing a six bladed fan from a 302cid Ford V8 engine from the 1970's. Had to enlarge the center hole slightly> I also fitted a shroud from a Isuzu pickup.Finally I fitted the radiator with a return overflow bottle and radiator neck.
Now the problem is getting the engine warm enough to use the heater.
Hope this is helpful.
Regards Pepepackard.

Posted on: 2019/6/18 4:45
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved