Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 42

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

533 Chassis Oiler
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Does anybody know how I can clean out my chassis oiler system? It only lubes about 20% of the areas that are supposed to be lubed by the oiler.

It looks like I need a couple of Tee fittings as well.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2019/5/8 19:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 533 Chassis Oiler
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your lines may be plugged but it's also very likely is that the drip plugs are clogged. The later style had felt filters in the drip plugs which can be removed and cleaned, I'm assuming the earlier plugs also had such filters. You might try that first as it's the easier alternative. And with the plugs removed it will be easier to determine if the line is indeed plugged.

Many Bijur fittings are available from Classic and Exotic in Michigan.

Posted on: 2019/5/8 19:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Excellent tip. I will check that out in the morning!
Thanks

Posted on: 2019/5/8 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Replacement fittings can be obtained through Classic & Exotic Service. They are soon to close their doors, though, so I'd act now. Not sure what will happen to the parts business.
https://www.classicandexotic.com/store/c-3-bijur-chassis-lubricator.aspx

Posted on: 2019/5/9 9:47
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi,
Bruce Blevins in Grand Blanc Michigan (blevins33@aol.com) makes all the drip plugs and connectors for the Bijur system on many of the pre-war cars, among a host of other items like shackle pins and various specialty bolts, nuts and washers. His stuff is extremely high quality because he is a machinist and he works from factory blueprints which he purchased many years ago. He is also a great source for those same factory blueprints which he will photocopy...for a price. If you send him a request for a blueprint for a specific part, try to get the factory part number from a catalog because he researches them by part number. They have saved me from a fair number of quandries as I have replaced missing and/or incorrect parts on my car. Bruce is spending less time on this part of his business and more time travelling, but his nephew is thankfully picking it up.

The Bijur Company is still in business (www.bijurlubrication.com) and has the original drawings showing which drip plugs are correct for each lubrication point on the early cars. If you email them, they will send you a copy of the drawing for your car. They were very accommodating a couple of years ago when I was on the same quest. You will need that drawing if you don't have it already as the replacement plugs that Bruce Blevins and Classic & Exotic sell match the plugs on the original drawings.

I have a sixth series car and the drip plugs do not come apart nicely to be cleaned, and replacing that tiny piece of wool crammed down inside is impossible on the early plugs. Unfortunately the plugs are made of aluminum and if you bend or damage them at all, they do not seal well. Good luck!

Posted on: 2019/5/9 10:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
Man i dont want to hijack any thread but Chassis Oiler????? a drip system that dripped oil on moving chassis parts???? never seen or heard of that ...thats AWESOME

Posted on: 2019/5/10 13:21

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad you found it interesting. Bijur or similar systems have a long history up to and including today of use on large industrial equipment, for example large printing presses and highway construction equipment. And it wasn't exclusive to Packard, many high-end cars offered it; its use on cars pretty much wound down by the mid-1930s. Lincoln tried to revive it for one year much later, I believe it was 1956.

Posted on: 2019/5/10 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
WOW thats is awesome i can see it on industrial equipment but cars!!!!!!.....next car show i go to ill be looking for that!!!! I know kind of geeky but im still learning at 55yrs young. I guess Chevy, Ford and Dodge didnt do it???....well maybe Ford..... was Lincoln part of Ford at that time?

Posted on: 2019/5/10 16:37

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting comparison, my '34 Packard with Bijur has 7 grease fittings. My '56 (without) must have about 28 or so.

I will admit that after parking the '34 in the same spot for 60+ years, the garage floor is a bit of a mess!

Posted on: 2019/5/10 16:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Ill bet Owen.....is the oil system front and rear????

Posted on: 2019/5/11 18:12

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved