Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
37 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 35

Out Islander, Canadianpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 533 Chassis Oiler
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Varies a bit with series but generally at least front and rear spring shackles, mechanical brake rods and components, clutch throwout bearing.

Posted on: 2019/5/11 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I have to ask: Why is Brian Joseph's place (Classic and Exotics) closing down?

Just the other day somebody told me I should be working on that stuff. I had to laugh.

Posted on: 2019/5/11 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Chevmn56, I think the attached will satisfy your curiosity about the Bijur lubrication points on the 533 chassis.

Tim, correct or not, I had heard that Brian was planning on retirement and no suitable buyers for the business had yet appeared.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 104.39 KB; Hits: 29

Posted on: 2019/5/12 8:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
Wow thats crazy!!!!! so i assume that there was a tank for the oil/fluid how much did it hold????? and how often does it need filled?????

Posted on: 2019/5/12 9:51

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There were minor differences between makes, and over the years there were two basic operating systems, again with some variations between makes. The older system used a manual pump located convenient to the driver to deliver a dose of lubricant. The Packard pump handle instructed the driver to "Push Daily". The later system used a pump which functioned automatically and was actuated by variations in manifold vacuum. Both systems had a reservoir for the Bijur oil, and both used a variety of metering plugs at the outlets to deliver varying amount of oil depending on the requirements at that point. For example a pump stroke would deliver less to the clutch throwout bearing than to a spring shackle.

I don't know the exact capacities of the reservoirs, I'd guess at a bit more than a pint, less than a quart. I've never monitored the exact usage but I probably refill mine once a season, perhaps 500-1000 miles. Maybe someone else has a firm number.

Search here on "Bijur" and you should find enough reading for a rainy afternoon.

Posted on: 2019/5/12 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks Owen

Posted on: 2019/5/13 19:03

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I called Classic & Exotic as well as Bijur folks. Both have some parts. Thanks for the help.

This is going to be a large project as I will need to pull all of the drip oiler plugs out to clean the lines and the plugs. 3 hours on one plug and it still doesn't move. I may need to use a hoist vs jack stands for this task...

BTW- Classic & Exotic had all of the parts to repair my fuel gage housing, glass tubing, red die, sending unit and unit tubing. 3 day turn around. Outstanding!

Posted on: 2019/5/13 20:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
I am in the process of replacing all of my 1928 526 Bijur lubrication components. I have cleaned or purchased new metering cartridges. I have replaced all of the lines with new copper and had the tank rebuilt. One issue was the soldered Tee fittings. I could not get them soldered right so I replaced those joints with brass compression fittings. Just waiting on 5 more half barrel compression sleeves from Bruce Blevins to complete the restoration.

Attach file:

jpg  (60.30 KB)
4951_5ce0268bd40cd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (57.70 KB)
4951_5ce0269e9defb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2019/5/18 10:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved