Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1928 wiring distribution question
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Can anyone provide me with a photo of the box located inside the frame of a 1928 car where the big wires from the battery come into the engine compartment?

Posted on: 2019/5/26 11:52
 Top  Print   

Re: 1928 wiring distribution question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Big Wires? Size is relative...

I assume you are talking about the 1/O + cable which goes to chassis ground, and the - 1/0 cable which goes to the floor start button and then to the starter.

There is also a #10 wire (that is bolted from the 1/O - cable, connected just inside the motor compartment, next to the battery, and underneath the vacuum fuel pump unit) that goes to the ammeter See picture below...

Make SURE your wire to the ammeter from the battery is at least a #10 AWG 30 AMP wire. Mine was a #12 which is good for only 20 AMPS. The generator which also charges the battery puts out at least 30 AMPS. With a drained battery and your generator charging your battery for a long time the 20AMP wire will get hot, deteriorate and has the potential to start a fire.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.01 KB)
185433_5ceebf641a56a.jpg 1605X1250 px

Posted on: 2019/5/29 12:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1928 wiring distribution question
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Yes, it is the box where the battery to starter switch cable exits into the engine compartment.

You have also answered my other query of what size circuit breaker to install in the light system. I am not going to use the vibrating C/B as I so not trust it so will use a self resetting breaker instead. I will get a 30 amp module.

Posted on: 2019/5/29 22:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved