Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

50 Clipper Project - Fuel pump issue help needed
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jesse Almaraz
See User information
I'm attempting to start 1950 Clipper that had been in covered storage for 30 years. Gas tank cleaned, new battery, carburetor & fuel pump rebuilt. Gas doesn't seem to be getting to carburetor. Notice fuel pump partially installed with one missing fuel line connection (see attached photo).

Note sure where to connect missing fuel line. Any help greatly appreciated

Thx

Attach file:

jpg  (31.74 KB)
196225_5ce0220a67573.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2019/5/18 10:18
 Top  Print 

Re: 50 Clipper Project - Fuel pump issue help needed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe that is the part of the pump that provides an aux vacuum supply for the windshield wiper motor and would not directly affect fuel delivery unless the connection between the intake manifold port and pump is open. Then it would result in a large vacuum leak and lean mixture.

On a 50 model I believe the routing is still a steel tube from a port at the front of the intake manifold to the outlet side of the upper vacuum portion of the fuel pump. There were no 50 Clippers so if it is a 51-2 200 model which some mistakenly call Clippers I believe they had already changed to a port near the carb by then. If nothing is found in the location shown in the parts manual photo of a 48-50 engine check for a port on the side of the vertical portion of the intake manifold near the carburetor base.

To complete the vacuum routing, from the inlet side of the pump another steel line goes along the side of the block and bends up toward the windshield wiper motor area where it transitions into a hose going to the motor. The metal section from the pump to the wiper motor may be a single tube ending near the motor or two shorter tubes joined by a hose lower down at the firewall to lower bellhousing area of the engine

Here are a couple of illustrations on the 50 vacuum line. If you do not have the optional vacuum radio antenna disregard the tee and hose portion after the tee. The hose would just be a short length between the tube and wiper motor inlet.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.41 KB)
209_5ce025d43bde3.jpg 1200X1031 px

jpg  (94.27 KB)
209_5ce026c625455.jpg 986X1000 px

Posted on: 2019/5/18 10:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
A 1950 Clipper? There is no such thing as the last Clipper was in 1947 and the name wasn't used again until 1953.

Posted on: 2019/5/18 13:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jesse Almaraz,
to PackadInfo and I invite you to inlude your '50 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/5/18 15:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jesse Almaraz
See User information
Howard

Thanks for your response. Vacuum line attached per instructions.Still not getting gas to fuel pump. Gas tank clean, line from gas tank to rebuilt pump clear.

Any suggestions?

Jesse

Posted on: 2019/5/29 9:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A few possibilities. One many have had issues with is the tanks need to have a vented cap. Modern non vented caps will allow the pump to pull a partial vacuum in the tank and stop flow but that usually takes a few minutes of running before the vacuum is enough to equal pump suction..

Another issue is the condition of the steel line. If it has been crushed or rusted somewhere or developed pinholes the pump cannot pull fuel or can only pull air. The short rubber hose connecting the pump to the steel line is a known issue if it is the old original hose. Age can deteriorate the inner lining and block flow. Can you remove the hose at the fuel pump and blow air thru the line to hear it gurgling in the tank? Also, if the line was completely empty it can take a lot of cranking to bring fuel to the front. Have you verified fuel is actually at the pump?

When you say the tank was cleaned am assuming it was taken to a shop and any rust particles completely removed? If not there could be some debris floating around that broke off again just from handling and suction has pulled it into the area where the pickup opening is located and has blocked the fuel line inlet opening. A worse scenario is using one of the sloshing compounds and then having the tank lay flat while that stuff dried. The depression in the tank bottom where the inlet tube sits can fill as the sloshing compound puddles and if it dried many tanks have been affected because the sloshing compound hardens and blocks the inlet opening.

If there are any filters make sure they are clean. Microscopic and tiny rust particles can quickly block any filters and even the screen in the base of the pump. The old (and optional) ceramic filters usually located next to the carb can look clean and air can be blown thru but if fuel has dried in the glass bowl a few times varnish can clog the filters to the point that fuel cannot get thru.

Last is the pump rebuild. Sometimes things happen even from reputable vendors and the pumps themselves are the culprit.

Posted on: 2019/5/29 10:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One very easy test is to check the fuel pump to see if it is capable of drawing fuel, this is the very first thing I'd check. Just disconnect the line from the tank and hold your finger over the fitting on the pump as someone cranks the engine over. If you don't feel a vacuum against your finger from the pump, it's not functioning. If so, likely causes include stuck or non-functioning one-way valves or a ruptured diaphragm.

PS- remotely possible that the pump was assembled incorrectly and the positions of the inlet and outlet have been reversed. Just check which port provides suction.

Posted on: 2019/5/29 10:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I had my tank cleaned, but the shop did not check the pick up tube inside. It was rusted half way up and would not pump after 1/2 tank. I installed a filter and used the drain plug fitting for the pick up. Sold the car before the new tanks came on board.

Posted on: 2019/5/29 11:06
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jesse Almaraz
See User information
Thx for all the good advice. I'll keep you posted.

Posted on: 2019/6/4 21:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
In my case, also a 30 year revival, I thought everything was clean and set after the various rebuilds carb/pump/tank etc... but when the pump stopped pumping as noticed by no successful start and a bubbling surging fuel level in the glass fuel filter it turns out there was some grit left in the tank by whatever was used to clear out the rust and 30 year old gas varnish. Though it was a tiny amount, it was enough to clog the pump valves apparently. I'll give credit to Then and Now Automotive in Weymouth, MA who re-did their re-build of the pump for no additional cost even though a non-associated radiator shop I found did the tank clean out. No problems since... well with the pump and tank at least!

Also... on the '50 Clipper note, according to Massachusetts and my title I have a '49 Clipper (even though that's not an actual model) because that is how it was registered and titled for the previous owner in 1979 (and whenever he bought it prior to that in the 50s). I'm guessing that when Clippers were new in the 50s, someone just put that erroneously on the title during the first re-sale. Re-titling, registration, and just about everything in the process, even for antique cars, is an unnecessary pain here in MA, so I just left everything the same to not cause more headache.

Posted on: 2019/6/8 7:50
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved