Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
39 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 38

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 327ci mystery
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
Hello Packard DAN,

A tip from one who has been there and done that.Firstly check the exhaust manifold is not bowed, use a straight edge and set of feeler gauges. Have the manifold machined to ensure that it is straight. If possible have it linished to remove any milling marks as they will act like a dreadnaught file and destroy the gasket. Make sure that the bolts that hold the manifold together are loose and there is clearance around the studs that secure the manifold to the block. Bolt the manifold to the block first and tighten the bolts. Then tighten the bolts that hold the two manifolds(intake and exhaust)together. It may help to use graphite powder on the exhaust manifold surface to allow it to move under operating temperatures.This is described in the service manual and found it works best.
Regards Pepepackard.

Posted on: 2019/6/18 4:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 327ci mystery
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
Pepepackard; At the suggestion of PackardDon I had planned to leave both manifolds bolted together at the heat exchanger and have them machined together as an assembly. The eight nuts holding the manifolds to the block came away surprisingly easily but I fear I may have to cut the two bolts that connect the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe. I assume a machine shop can back the remainder if the bolts from the manifold casting?

Posted on: 2019/6/23 16:31
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved