Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 119

r1lark, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Getting started
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Boise_chief
See User information
Yes it had an antenna that is mounted to the side of the passenger side front fender. I suspect it had a powered antenna as there is a knob on the dash

Posted on: 2019/6/21 17:39
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Boise_chief
See User information
Excellent, I ran the motor up via 12 volts and it evened out the suspention bringing the rear up 4 to 6 inches.

Posted on: 2019/6/21 18:10
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Boise_chief
See User information
Pictures

Attach file:

jpg  (144.67 KB)
197884_5d0d64563003e.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (352.27 KB)
197884_5d0d6489855de.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (352.27 KB)
197884_5d0d64c168553.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/6/21 18:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Boise_chief,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include the '56 Executive Touring Sedan in the Packard Owners Registry.

Posted on: 2019/6/21 18:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Boise_chief
See User information
I certainly will once I give it to Pastor Dan. Here is the radio and I will follow with a puc of the antenna.

Attach file:

jpg  (191.86 KB)
197884_5d0d6607186fc.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/6/21 18:21
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Boise_chief
See User information
Good Sunday morning to you all. I was able to work on the executive for a while yesterday.
.I pressure washed off the house paint on the exterior with my hot water pressure washer.

I did uncover some issues that I had not previously seen. It had a respray prior to the house paint and they did a poor job of prep as I was able to remove most of that respray as well.

I worked on the engine a bit as well. Someone has tried to get this running in the last 10 to 15 years. It has newer points plugs cap and rotor. I pre lubed the cylinders ran it manually around 3 full cycles of compression and exhaust. Then I jumped the starter and ran it 15 to 20 full cycles with the plugs removed

I then ran it to TDC and pulled the cap to determine #1 cyl on the cap. The firing order was completely messed up so I fixed that. I diconnected the fuel pump also.

I decided to see if I could get it to fire a bit and she fired up and idled with what fuel I put in the carb.

Posted on: 2019/6/23 10:08
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Boise_chief
See User information
Unfortunately the electrical system is a mess. I only have power to non keyed systems ie. Headlights and taillights.

Also the trans didnt engage in the limited amount of time I ran it 60 secs or so. I dont have a cooling system (radiator) and the fuel pump is shot as well. If I can today I will start trying to rebuild the electrical system.

Attach file:

jpg  (183.53 KB)
197884_5d0f96de48251.jpg 1920X1222 px

Posted on: 2019/6/23 10:12
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Boise_chief
See User information
Arrg sorry about the sideways picture

Posted on: 2019/6/23 10:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations. The fact you got it started with minimal effort after a long sit is a good sign. Now if the seals in the trans cooperate after being dry that long then so much the better.

You will want to drain any old gas but new repro tanks from our vendors seem to be NLA at the moment and good used are hard to come by. There is some question if the repros might still be available from third parties though.

The tank drain plug is steel and so is the tank port it threads into. If it has been awhile or never removed they are probably rusted together. However you approach the draining, if trying to remove the plug be very sure to support the tank part with large vise grips, pipe wrench, channel locks or whatever so it cannot twist on the tank while working the plug. The tank fitting is pressed in and if it rotates on the tank there will be a very difficult if not impossible to fix leak.

On the ign switch, if you are working with the terminals or trying to remove it be careful. Switch is held by the bezel and after time the small hooks that engage the pins on the switch bend and are easily broken. Bezels are expensive and getting hard to come by. To remove the switch hold the bezel against the dash and from behind, push switch in toward the dash against a fairly healthy spring and twist slightly. The hooks should let the pins go and the switch will come out. If the hooks on the bezel are bent do not try to straighten as they will undoubtedly break off.

Posted on: 2019/6/23 10:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Boise_chief
See User information
Tank you for the tip. I will remove the tank so that I can clean it and replace all rubber lines when I start the brake system. It has a huge hitch that has to come off first. Apparently it was used to haul hay on the farm in the 60s or 70s.

I hope the electrical doesnt take me too long as it has been cut up pretty badly. I am off to try to find a pin out of the ignition switch as that is where most of the damage begins.

Posted on: 2019/6/23 10:27
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved