Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 45

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Sound like the timing is advanced to far?? Have you don't a compression test on the engine. Checked the vacuum advance on the timing. Done a general tune up on the engine?

Posted on: 2019/6/23 15:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nivek123
See User information
Pw
We have the timeing between 5 and 6
Kevin

Posted on: 2019/6/23 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I drive my 54 Cavalier all the time and I have the non-gearstart Ultramatic.

I put the selector in "H" which is high gear and leave it there.The car has decent acceleration and at about 20 to 30 MPH (depending on how hard you push the accelerator) I feel the clutch lock up the torque converter. Feels almost like a gear shift but we know there is no shift.

I believe if you stomp the accelerator it will unlock and it feels like a passing gear.

I am told not to shift to low to race the Beemer next to you and then go back to High although we did that all the time in high school.

I am led to believe the torque converter did a little better ratio than modern converters so as not to require a low gear start.

So in high gear the car is always in direct drive.

Jim

Posted on: 2019/6/23 16:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nivek123
See User information
Jim
Im going to check the adjustment on the carb linkage and if thats good im gonna start with the torque converter.I think its not engaging which keeps me in high torque from what i can see .the events were we changed out the tranny and used the old torque converter and it did the same thing.When Itry to go over 50 iu feel it pulling back,engine clacking as if it was timing ,but set timing to 5 ,so suspicions its the Torque converter ,but limited intelligence over here on the Ulta
Kevin

Posted on: 2019/6/23 19:31
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

wileypackard
See User information
Team
so.....here is where we are.The tranny has been rebuilt.Max Merritt has the best price over Kantor....always a rip.
So we found the piston on the rear on the high gear was out of tolerance for the ring ,as well as the spline that runs the rear oil pump was worn and we had to spot weld and refile to get the spline to hold the oil pump rotor tight.
This all caused low oil pressure in high gear,which in turn wiped the clutches in the high gear drum .The oil valve assembly looks ok but!!!!!
If anyone knows where to get the PU-324 plug gauges ,Im in the market for them.But....if i did have a worn valve cylinder ,what would I do for that? Do they make sleeves for these ?

Posted on: 2019/6/28 19:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Quote:
Max Merritt has the best price over Kantor....always a rip.

Hey Wiley Packard, Glad you got your tranny problem sussed. Please refrain from slamming our suppliers on this site. A) there are members from Kanters on here and all that does is cause unnecessary angst and ill-will and B) we are lucky to have suppliers out there who can furnish parts for our 80+ year old cars. Sure the prices may vary, but at the end of the day, we NEED these guys and showing them some respect and appreciation goes a long way in fostering good relations between the parts industry and us end-users. Thanks in advance for your cooperation. Chris Goodfellow.

Posted on: 2019/7/1 21:52
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
On 6/22 Ross said:

"As to the throttle linkage adjustment: for a first whack make sure the carb is off the fast idle cam and is idling slowly. Turn it off, get under and loosen the clamp screw on the throttle link on the trans. With a right angle screwdriver turn the throttle shaft ccw til it stops, then bring it cw just a hair so it is not resting on its stop. Tighten the clamp and try it."

You must be saying that the end of the shaft has a split in it to accept a right angle screwdriver. Would my '51 200 Ultramatic have this split?

Posted on: 2019/7/4 11:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes.

Posted on: 2019/7/4 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
I found a park/neutral inter-lock switch for a 54 car's starter. Will this fit a 51? Is there a service bulletin for this? 1954 Packard Neutral Safety Switch 455702

Posted on: 2019/7/5 7:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The original type Ultramatic neutral safety switches used before the Gear Start and Twin Ultras are screwed into the transmission case and is operated by part of the internal linkage. As I recall, the switches are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about that thick. Two wires connect to terminals on the end of the switch. Electrically, they are in the circuit between the ignition switch and the carburetor start switch. If you need a replacement Kanter or maybe Ross might have one.

EDIT. On the 54 switch you found it depends on the transmission. If for the original Ultra used thru most of 54 then yes it should fit but if it is the switch for the late 54 Gear Start that mounted on the steering column, then no.

Posted on: 2019/7/5 8:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved