Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

53 Cavalier, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

replacement gas tank in a 1951-56 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I found a thread on here installing a 1953-54 Chevy gas tank into a '49 Packard. Any threads on replacing a 1951-56 gas tank.
I've been told a 1957 Chevy gas tank can be used in these cars. Anyone done this?
I would rather have a Packard tank, but contacting Kanter it looks like it may be another 6 months till they have a replacement again.....
John

Posted on: 2019/6/14 16:03
 Top  Print 

Re: replacement gas tank in a 1951-56 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I forget who did it and size wise is almost identical so it will physically fit but needs some mods. It was done some time ago and my memory leaves a lot these days. There are a few things you will need to figure out though because it is not a direct swap and I don't remember the details.

First is the Chevy tank does not have a fill pipe as part of the tank. I don't remember if that was bought separately or if the person who did the change managed to cut the fill off the Packard tank and weld or use a hose to connect it and the vent to the Chevy tank. There is also a slight difference in location which you will need to ensure it clears the frame and as I recall that was an issue. The Packard tank fill goes under the frame with the vent connected by a hose over the top of the frame and there is not much clearance on top of the frame. The Chevy tank fill appears to come very close if not thru the top edge of the frame as does the vent and routing over that I think was a problem.

The sender goes in the front of the tank so the Packard unit will not work. Electrically, senders for Chevys will not work with our gauges. As I recall there is also no fuel outlet on the tank as that is part of the Chevy sender so another issue. It might be possible to get a universal Ford replacement sender which would work electrically and modify it to install on a Chevy tank unit with an outlet tube but will take some fabrication to pull it off.

Third issue is the Chevy tank holds 16 gallons, Packard is 20 so the universal sender would need to reflect the change to read properly on the gauge. That should not be a large issue as I think it could be done by changing the arc of the float.

Here is a photo of the Packard tank courtesy of Keith and one of the Chevy tank.

Attach file:

jpg  (172.85 KB)
209_5d042b21365d3.jpg 1196X936 px

jpg  (49.37 KB)
209_5d042b5dc4bb2.jpg 804X800 px

Posted on: 2019/6/14 18:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
I purchased a reproduction gas tank from Auto City Classics, https://autocityclassic.com/, in April 2018. At the time they said they had a lot of them in stock. It did have the problem that the filler pipe opening wasn't in the correct position behind the filler door. It only required a little additional bend be added to the first two bends as measured from the tank. I have a template of the required bend. I have had no problems with the tank.

Posted on: 2019/6/15 0:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don't believe that Auto City Classics actually stocked the tanks so when they were all gone, they are gone for everyone who distributed them.

Posted on: 2019/6/15 1:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I sent an inquiry to auto city classics. But I figure Packard Don is right probably all got them from the same source.

Posted on: 2019/6/15 11:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
At the time I ordered mine, Kanter said they did not have them. I think it was because of the improperly bent filler pipes which had been a discussion here earlier. Auto City didn't care when I told them about the filler pipe and I just added a small bend. They said they had them on the shelf and as I recal it was shipped from their location. It was not listed on their web site, but they had an ad in Hemmings. We will have to wait to hear their response to the inquiry.

Update:
I looked up the details, I placed the order on 4/5, Auto City sent the shipping info to FedEx 4/6 9:16 am, and it was picked up from them at 4:55 pm. Therefore they had the tank in stock at their location. The inside box, which is stamped "Made in Taiwan" is labeled going to Auto City Classic via LA.

Posted on: 2019/6/15 14:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
On the gas tank, as of 4:30 pm EDT today, Auto City Classics DOES have them in stock. They recommend calling them to order, (800) 828-2212. Current price $349. I had to add a small bend to the filler pipe as it was too low behind the filler door.

Posted on: 2019/6/24 16:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That must be a very stout pipe. How did you bend it and does it have the odd "vent" groove at the cap?

Posted on: 2019/6/24 16:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks 56clippers. I'll give them a holler. John

Posted on: 2019/6/24 18:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
PackardDon: I have a Compact Bender from Harbor Freight that I used to bend the filler pipe, it wasn't too difficult. I don't recall if it had the vent groove and I don't have any documentation, but there isn't one there now so if there was one I pounded it out to match the factory tank and have a vented cap.

Posted on: 2019/6/25 1:44
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved