Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super 8 Sylphon Thermostat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I am trying to determine the correct Sylphon Thermostat to install in my Super 8 that will work with my shutters.

Thanks

Posted on: 2019/6/15 12:30
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Super 8 Sylphon Thermostat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
To answer my PMs... The shutters I am talking about are on the front of the car grill, in front of the radiator.

Posted on: 2019/6/25 8:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gar, last time I had occasion to check on that unit, both Max and Bill Hirsch had them available. Perhaps Kanters as well? So you should be able to just pick up the phone and order it. Brace yourself, not inexpensive though they generally have a very long service life, 30-40 years not uncommon! And they are often repairable, though cost-wise probably prohibitive unless there is no alternative.

Posted on: 2019/6/25 9:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thanks.

Max has some but they are just short of an arm. (An arm is $500 each)

It looks like I need to tear into this a bit more as I don't see an easy way to pull the thermostat.

I will also need to see if I can find someone to rebuild what I have.

Posted on: 2019/6/25 19:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Well you could start saving your pennies until enough have been accumulated to buy a thermostat. In the mean time you could rig a cable control to the lever that moves the louvers and work them manually. This is what I did with my 39 Cadillac 60 Special. It was expensive 20 years ago too. JWL

Posted on: 2019/7/1 17:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
My experience with the sylphon.

There were recommendations to have Automotive Restorations of NJ rebuild it, but they must cater to the Amelia and Pebble crowd because their price they quoted this morning was $795 to rebuild a 1940 sylphon. Why not make it an even $800, guys? Pretty outrageous considering you have to provide the core and a brand new one from Max is $400 with gasket, no core required. Looking at these step-by-step instructions, we'll probably rebuild our core ourselves, since we have 2, when we have nothing left to do. That day has not arrived as yet.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/how-to/thermostat-1.cfm

Posted on: 2019/7/3 7:59
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
I had Jim Otto in Knoxville Tennessee rebuild the one for my old 33. If I recall it was pretty cheap. Might be worth looking into.

Posted on: 2019/7/3 22:38
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved