Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 108

29tons, pmhowe, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Are prices trending downwards for late 1930's Packards ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Yes, well said.

I bought my 1941 120 Club Coupe with open eyes. Somebody else had put a lot of work into it - possibly spent more than it was worth. I paid what I thought was a fair price, knowing that if anything its value is falling.

Nevertheless, I enjoy tinkering with it and it seems to evoke positive feelings in a lot of people who see it on the road. To me, it oozes class unlike any modern car. Maybe that's just me. When I get too old and feeble to enjoy it, I'll sell it. Hopefully, to somebody who will enjoy it like I do. I'll most likely take a bath on the price I sell it for. I don't really care, because I will have had my fun. Who can put a price on that?

Shortly after I got the Coupe, my wife announced that there was no way she would drive it - being left hand drive and manual shift, and no power steering.

My response was to buy a 1956 Clipper in right hand drive with automatic shift. Also a lovely car to drive but - predictably - a futile move. Again I like that car a lot, enjoy driving it and it seems to give pleasure to people who see it out on the road. I have no illusions about its future value. Heck, it's not worth much now and probably even less in the future.

We're fortunate to be able to enjoy such things. The bureaucrats haven't managed to banish us from the roads yet, but they will keep trying. Some regard us as antisocial and hastening the demise of our planet by polluting the air. Rubbish.

Brian

Posted on: 2019/6/28 5:49
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Yes. It was inevitable, demographic change is relentless, every generation has it prized objects which eventually become regarded as relics by succeeding generations. Its not simply Packards but all older cars. Everyday, run-of-the-mill cars produced in high numbers show the affect first. Even with the attrition that's reduced their numbers over the decades, there are still more extant than there is demand to support.

Where does that leave us? As demand diminishes, price adjust down to reflect that, which if you are entering the market will provide a better selection of cars in better condition for lower prices for consideration. If you are selling, it may take much longer to find another who perceives your car worth the price ask. You may have to swallow hard and accept much less than you'd hope to make a sale.

The upside is it will encourage the speculators to exit the scene, make worthwhile, enjoyable cars more readily available and affordable to new owners who will genuinely want them for other than their monetary value. We can encourage any younger people we encounter who show interest to delve more deeply, find out the benefits of older car ownership, that they're not a mystery. unaffordable or impossible to deal with.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/6/28 12:15
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
When I see something like that junk Darrin hotrod abortion being bid sky high on junkbay I suspect there is fake bidding going on to give the impression that somebody actually wants the piece of junk. Set an outrageous reserve and put in fake bids.

All hot rods are junk. Want to go fast? Just a buy a modern car and contribute something to the economy.

This whole car thing got started because the rich threw away their cars. Bob Turnquist bought a low mileage 443 Phaeton for $50. Teddy Kavenagh bought a half a dozen cars for $25 dollars. They were cheap and they ran. Paul Lamb always had money, but thought the 34 Su8 was tops and never sold the one he bought slightly used in the 30's.

The only time I go to a car show is when they have a nice awards dinner. The only time I have a couple of drinks is when they have a bar. If I owned a 33-34 Packard everyone would be telling me to paint the chrome radiator shell with a spray can. If I owned a 35-39 V-12 they would be telling me to put those ugly little 120 parking lights on it. If I owned an earlier car they would be telling me to paint it like a circus wagon. I don't even want to look at that stuff so I don't go. However, when I do I appreciate all those nice original Cadillacs.

Posted on: 2019/6/28 20:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Tim- I am always wary of auctions and it is certainly possible that the bidding on the Darrin was bogus...but I doubt it. Despite our shared disgust that someone would turn a Darrin into a street rod, the workmanship on the car appeared to be superior...great paint, show quality chrome and spectacular leather interior.
What exactly does one do with a $300,000:Darrin or a $200,000 Caribbean. That last number was the Hagerty price for a NUmber 1:car a decade ago....and the price has dropped 40% in the interim.
I once attended a Super Chevy gathering and stood in awe at the owner of a 57 Nomad polishing the undercarriage while his wife used a mink artist brush to clean the lugnuts. I have seen Ferrari's pushed onto the show field and have the crew replace the wheels/ tires with show units to avoid having blades of grass trapped in the tread.
Trailer queens of any marque or vintage have never been my thing but i just accept that some car owners prefer to treat their cars like fine art.
There have been 57 Chevy Convertibles with the new engines, frames, interiors and add on accesories like air and super sound systems sell at Barrett Jackson for more than $200,000.
There is a segment of the hobby who want the looks ofd cars with the safety of disc brakes , rack and pinion steering and modern engines. Check out Jay Leno's Toronado.
Different strokes for different folks. We who like cars are entitled to our preferences. I'm a purist when it comes to Packards ....but I always add an electronics ignition module and halogen headlights to let me gett out cruising. The next owner can easily return the car to stock if he prefers ..
I would prefer that the market forces restored the value to my Caribbean but I plan to drive it and enjoy it while I can...even if that ends up further diminishing the value . I would convert the brakes to a modern dual master cylinder system for safety iand piece of mind if I could make the conversion appear stock.
If hotrods offend you, I will not question your taste.

Posted on: 2019/6/28 23:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
As I said, that's why I don't go there. I think those junks are barely roadworthy so I never see them on the street. Stock Model A's yes, my neighbor has an unrestored 633 that I see occasionally. I see those cars on the street, but never those junkrods. I am thankful that I don't see those abortions on the street.

Posted on: 2019/6/29 9:09
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved