Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 28 »

Re: carforce number one
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I seriously doubt FDR is being fitted with braces, during fitting pants must be down or removed. His handicap was
"hidden" from the public. It appears that he is exiting the car with his leg braces locked and sliding off the cushion. The man at his feet will be helping him upright.

Posted on: 2016/12/27 22:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
"...Hoover liked to drive his car, accompanied by his wife or a friend (former Presidents did not get Secret Service protection until the 1960s)..." [Wikipedia]

Since the internet is filled with pics, showing his predecessors FDR and Harry S. Truman surrounded by the presidental guard, I have certain difficulties to believe that statement.

Click to see original Image in a new window

1928 Packard nine-tenths left front view, male chauffeur, President Herbert Hoover standing at passenger door. Inscribed on photo back; Packard 443, custom eight (produced 7/1/1927-8/1/1928), fourth series eight, 8-cylinder, 106-horsepower, 143-inch wheelbase, 7-person sedan limousine (body type #315).

Item # EB01d378

Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 23:52
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

1927 Packard nine-tenths left front view, chauffeur standing at passenger door. Inscribed on photo back; Packard model 343, third series eight, all weather cabriolet, this car provided for use of Queen Marie of Romania on the occasion of her visit to Washington, D.C. & Baltimore, Md., early autumn 1926.

Item # EB01d307

Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.

1927 Packards lined up on country road. Inscribed on photo back; Packard 343, third series eight (produced 8/2/1926-7/1/1927), 8-cylinder, 106-horsepower, 143-inch wheelbase, left to right Dietrich all weather stationary cabriolet, Holbrook inside drive limousine, standard sedan limousine 7-person (body type #295), two Holbrook inside drive limousines, standard sedan limousine 7-person (body type #295), Derham Prince-of-Wales type sedan, three standard sedan limousine 7-person (body type #295), forward car used for personal transportation of Queen Marie of Romania (other cars used by her entourage), during her visit to Washington, D.C. & Baltimore, Md., autumn 1926.

Item # EB01d306

Posted on: 2018/11/19 12:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
-> This and -> that source telling that we see a Packard with Holbrook body behind the squadron of chauffeurs but I believe, it is the same Dietrich as mentioned above.

BTW: They reduced the quantity of overcoat buttons for the smaller men to harmonize the ensemble.

Attach file:

jpg  (147.99 KB)
757_5bf4445212049.jpg 937X728 px

Posted on: 2018/11/20 12:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
FDR preferred Fords exclusively for his personal use. They were outfitted with hand controls to overcome his polio handicap.

Harry Truman loved to drive his Chrysler Imperial that was garaged at Shangri La and his wife would purportedly point at the speedometer when he was speeding.

Lyndon Johnson used to drive at high speeds in Texas while drinking.

I think the one who doesn't drive is Trump. Given he is a New Yorker I wonder if he even has a driver's license. I lived without a car for eight years. It's a great feeling. Walking to work is the ultimate care free existence. However, that was back when the subways were in decent shape and still had express trains. I also commuted into New York City on the old Pennsylvania high speed mainline. The track paralleled the turnpike and I used to look out the window when the train was travelling 110 mph and the traffic jams.

Fortunately, today I live in a town were I can walk to any number of businesses so when I get home for the weekend the car sits which is good because the roads are so broken down driving sucks.

Posted on: 2019/5/26 6:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The Victory Parade of the Allied Forces on September 7, 1945. Packard Twelve passenger car Marshal of the Soviet Union Georgy Zhukov.
In the Victory Day parade on September 7, 1945, in addition to the Soviet troops, American, British and French troops, who were in Berlin to secure the occupation of Germany, took part.

source: albumwar2.com
Click to enlarge (high resolution)!

Attach file:

jpg  (224.04 KB)
757_5cea84a5c7a49.jpg 1920X1244 px

Posted on: 2019/5/26 7:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The commander of the U.S. Third Army, General George S. Patton, Jr., took no great pleasure in the end of the war in Europe; he already knew that despite his lobbying of many influential figures in Washington, D.C., he had no hope of being reassigned to the Pacific Theater to command combat troops there. As he put it to his III Corps commander, Maj. Gen. James Van Fleet, "There is already a star [MacArthur] in that theater and you can only have one star in a show."

quotation & image source: warfarehistorynetwork.com

Attach file:

jpg  (80.11 KB)
757_5d069ddfdfaee.jpg 652X452 px

Posted on: 2019/6/16 14:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Some big ego's behind the scenes.

Posted on: 2019/6/17 8:03
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
After presenting Zhukov and Patton on its own in a Packard, the below photograph shows the both alpha leaders united.
Therafter we have the honor to host another member of an European nobel house at PackardInfo. It is nobody less than Alfonso Battenberg, Prince of Asturias, who "died at the age of 31 as a result of a car accident." [Wikipedia]

images sources
#1 - i.pinimg.com
#2 - todocoleccion.net

Attach file:

jpg  (66.52 KB)
757_5d17931932305.jpg 634X472 px

jpg  (40.20 KB)
757_5d179325f2330.jpg 682X428 px

Posted on: 2019/6/29 11:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
A couple of times we uploaded images, showing U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt on an inspection tour of the Douglas Aircraft Company's factory.

-> #1
-> #2
-> #3

The following photograph claims to be taken at the same event but somehow FDR managed to change the vehicle.

image source: cloudfront.net
Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (290.09 KB)
757_5d1c5964a4a58.jpg 1327X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/7/3 2:29
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved