Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What's the best reproduction chrome wire wheel to buy for a 50's Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
What's the best reproduction chrome wire wheel to buy for a 50's Packard?

Posted on: 2019/7/2 10:53
 Top  Print 

Re: What's the best reproduction chrome wire wheel to buy for a 50's Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I have installed two sets of wheel vintiques for customers and have found that although the spokes and hubs seem OK the chrome on the rims holds up about as well as the fenders on the $30 Wizard bicycle I got for my 7th birthday. Oh, and don't hit a pothole.

Posted on: 2019/7/2 19:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That's probably because they are getting a nickel chloride bath and not chrome. For a while GM was doing that and the rims wouldn't hold air.

Another reason I prefer painted wire wheels.

Posted on: 2019/7/3 6:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
bump

Posted on: 2021/4/12 23:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Do not know if they are the best, but Roadster Wire Wheel makes one with stainless spikes that seems okay.
I had a set on a Street Rod 26 Chrysler that were on the car when I bought it. They held up well for the 10-12:years that I owned the car.
I ended up buying a set for the 55 Caribbean based on that experience and have been happy with the looks and road feel over the 6 years and under 1000 miles I have driven the car since. The chrome seems to be okay but hard to judge how long they will hold up on a car more regularly driven.
I think they are the wheels offered by Coker and Summit racing for the Caribbean.
I had looked at .Vintage Wire wheels....painted ... for the 39 six and had even had Summit send one for fit. The wheel would not clear the center hub and the lug holes were too small diameter to use the lug bolts ( Summit thought they would fit and promptly sent return shippping label and promised refund to my card.
I am still looking for a painted wire wheel that will fit. ( the bolt pattern for the 39 and the Caribbean are both 5x5. The hub hole is 3.3” and back space for the 39 is around 3.5 “)
I am sorry to hear the chrome on the Vintage wheel is not more rust resistant than Ross’s bike.
Their cost was significantly less than the price listed for same sized wheel from Coker for Roadster wheel by almost $200/ wheel.
If anyone has a source for a safe painted wire wheel for the 39.....let me know. There are no bargains but there are also few / any offerings for a wheel that will fit the newer Packards.
Why should it be easy?

Posted on: 2021/4/13 0:16
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
I have a friend that has new wire wheels and they make the car shimmy. He found out they are made in China.

Posted on: 2021/4/26 15:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I have two sets of wires on my Packards that were bought from Coker. Vintiques might be a division of Coker, they are in the same building in California. I only have experience using these wheels in Arizona, and they have not had any degradation of the chrome in 7 + years, and no wobble or run-out issues. I understand the issue of corrosion in cold weather climates having a set of chrome OEM wheels on a pick-up truck that degraded in maybe 2-3 years. I’ve also had motorcycles with chrome rims and those wheels did not degrade. If you drive on roads that have been treated with salt let the buyer beware when buying chrome rims/wheels.

dp

Posted on: 2021/4/26 16:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Randy had a set of wirewheels in his stash of parts which his daughter still has. She will sell them not sure what they are but he preferred oem and had them rebuilt with stainless spokes and rechromed. If interested I could give anyone interested her contact info

Posted on: 2021/4/26 19:36
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved