Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
44 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 42

chevyboy, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55 400 Taillight removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. Wonder what prompted the change from 55 to 56.

Posted on: 2019/7/5 18:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Probably a little off topic, but the multitude of differences from 1955-1956 shows (to my mind) complete disarray, confusion and desperation. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 1955 and 1956 is probably my favorite year - but this kind of "meddling" with a relatively new product completely screws with your amortization and quality...or I could be completely wrong. Sorry for the post hijack.

Posted on: 2019/7/7 8:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
but this kind of "meddling" with a relatively new product completely screws with your amortization and quality...or I could be completely wrong.

I thing most would agree the 55s were kind of rushed and with the change in plants there was enough chaos that maybe some things they wanted or had planned to do for 55 was pushed back. I for one have always thought the 55s looked a bit unfinished. I think also the times had people expecting significant facelifts year to year so could be part of the 56 changes. I guess by then it was conclusively proven by the drop in sales that Packards reasoning of minimal styling changes year to year so that an owner who bought a car one year would not feel his purchase was obsolete the next year would not last forever.

On the tail lights, possibly they changed vendors and that could have been the reason for the grommet change. If the vendor was the same, by not having rubber that was actually molded or fastened around the wire, the 56 version could have also resulted in less cost for the assy.

Without proof of any sort I am thinking they could have also made the change because the wires may have been found vulnerable to being hit and damaged from objects in the trunk. The openings are rather low and in cars without the antenna to protect them could easily be hit with anything sliding on the floor. I would suspect the 55 bushing being the shape it is could get hit and knocked inside the hole removing any protection for the wire and the next hit could short the wire to the metal plate. An acquaintance of mine used to carry a few tools and cans of oil in a narrow box that fit behind the spare and in front of the right tail light on his 53. The box was just high enough to meet a bulb socket where it finally smashed into the light enough times the wires were bared and shorted where they entered the socket.

There are other spots in the trunk also a bit vulnerable. As I recall a former poster on this forum spent many weeks looking for an intermittent short in his 55 which turned out to be in the portion of the loom at the rear of the trunk which crosses over from left tail light to the right side. Something metallic had fallen in the trough and had worn away the insulation wrap on the loom and shorted the tail light wire. Anyone experiencing an intermittent might also check that area and particularly the supposed to be grommeted hole where the license light and fuel sender wires exit.

Posted on: 2019/7/7 9:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved