Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 120 Coil Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
I am having trouble getting my engine to run again after I had to undo quite a bit of it a few months ago. I am using an after market 6V coil and I do believe I have it connected correctly according to the wiring schematic that I have. I would like to have any of you verify on the NOS coils where the ignition cable attaches to the back side, whether that side is the battery (negative) side or the ground (positive) side. Or alternatively which side is the wire that goes to the distributer. Either positive or negative. Either will do. Thanks.

Posted on: 2019/7/7 14:10
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 120 Coil Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If a modern type coil with two exposed terminals, the terminal that is marked the same as the ground in your car goes to the distributor. If you have positive ground, the positive terminal of the coil would go to the dist.

If you have the armored cable type coil with the terminal hidden on the bottom end then as Packard was positive ground that hidden terminal would be the negative terminal since it is fed from the ign switch.

The coils will work either way but the spark is slightly stronger and more efficient if the coil is hooked up correctly. If any of the ign system is marginal 6v systems can suffer because of voltage drop and having to work harder. If the starter has a problem and is pulling a lot of current or battery or battery cables are too small or connections are dirty the voltage drop can be significant and the coil will barely receive enough to provide a spark. If the plugs are marginal too spark could be too weak to jump the gap.

Be sure the plugs are good and have not fouled due to a lot of cranking without a start. Sometimes they can get moist from the excess gas or have deposits on the electrodes which make it hard for the spark to jump the gap.

Posted on: 2019/7/7 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thank you, Howard. You did confirm what I thought I knew, which was as you say. I do have ti coil hooked up correctly and will go on with other items. Again, I thank you.

Posted on: 2019/7/7 14:47
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I will agree with Howard - while trying to resuscitate a 37 115, I couldn't get it to fire after fixing fuel and ignition problems. Finally, I re-replaced the spark plugs and it fired right up. Fuel fouling is hard to detect! Good luck!

Posted on: 2019/7/7 20:00
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved