Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: replacement gas tank in a 1951-56 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Just wanted to let every know the replacement Packard 1951-56 gas tank from Auto City Classics arrived today. It does not have the dimple in the lip where the gas cap goes on.
Now I just need to find that number for a vented gas cap.

Posted on: 2019/7/13 13:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
I used the Stant G37.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 16:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've got a few new G-37 Stant caps. If you want one, how about sending me $5 for shipping and making a contribution of your choice to Big Kev for site maintenance?

Posted on: 2019/7/15 16:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thanks to info, here, from 56Clippers and follow-up from ptv, I ordered one of these tanks from Auto City Classics - call (800) 828-2212. When I asked if they bought out Kanter's stock, they told me that THEY had the tanks made.

When the package arrived, I was concerned about the odd shape of the box, but it looks like they selected an oversize box and carefully folded and stapled the end flaps to stabilize the filler neck. IMHO, the inner box is only suitable for stocking in the warehouse.

I didn't have time to do a measured Q.C. check, but I did take time to compare it to an OE tank that I had taken out of one of my Patricians (due to repeated rust clogs in the fuel line/pump/filter). Visually, the stampings of the tank look identical to the OE. In spite of the fact that these tanks originate from Taiwan, I wonder if someone found the original forming/punching/trimming dies.

The fittings for the fuel line and drain (and drain plug itself) are different from original, but that's rather inconsequential to me. I'm just happy that it has a provision for a drain (as original). The plug threads will get a wrap of teflon tape to ensure it can be removed (if needed) later.

The flange for the level sender and the flange at the end of the filler neck for the gas cap are identical to the original. I suspect that these were likely standard shelf items, back in the day. The flange for the gas cap DOES NOT have any sort of crease, dimple or groove added; the vented cap from my original tanks fits perfectly.

The vent tube coming off the filler neck swings out a bit wider on the new tank, which might explain some misalignment with the vent tube coming out of the tank body, but the tubes on the OE tank don't line up perfectly, either. Again, that's a bit inconsequential to me since the two ends are connected with a nice flexible piece of rubber hose (as original), which is included with the new tank.

The neck is formed a bit differently from the original, which is also inconsequential to me, but when I placed the two tanks face-to-face, the end of the neck is about an inch lower. It's not that the neck is shorter, but that the lower bend needs a little tweaking. I called Auto City Classics about this, and they advised that a broom handle slipped into the end of the neck should give enough leverage to make some adjustment, but warned about breaking the solder joint to the tank.

I don't have time to work on that right now, but just wanted to make sure I got one of these tanks while they were still available. Eventually, I will make an outline (as someone else did) to give me a better idea of where to bend and try to come up with a way to hold the bottom of the neck to avoid straining the solder joint.

Adjusting the neck might actually involve more time/effort (compared to fixing a mangled gas cap flange), but I'm happy with this tank (and the lower price). It's about as close to original as you might ever get.

Posted on: 2019/8/27 18:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
When making the bend to the filler, the use of a bender (I used a Compact Bender from Harbor Freight) puts all of the bending force on the filler pipe so that the soldier attaching it to the tank is safe.

When deciding where and how much to bend, include the limitations of the fender. I didn't change the bend closest to the tank because I wanted more clearance between the pipe and the fender and based on my template it looked like it would hit.

Here is the link to the tank comparison and template in the other thread.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21927&forum=8&post_id=212813#forumpost212813

Posted on: 2019/8/27 22:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't see any Packard tanks at the Auto City Classic site that a web search suggested so anyone have a link or have the tanks already sold out.

Posted on: 2019/8/28 9:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard -

Correct, there are no Packard tanks listed at the Auto City Classics website. You have to call them to inquire/order at the phone number that 56Clippers provided earlier in this thread - (800) 828-2212. I'll go back and edit that into my previous post, as well.

The invoice I got shows their P/N for the tank as TS5156PK. Curiously, it shows no Site or Bin location, which makes me wonder how long these will be available (and is why I purchased one NOW).

Posted on: 2019/8/28 9:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
56Clippers -

Thanks for the additional insights.

I had seen your earlier comments about the use of the HF Compact Bender, but I thought those were only for bending solid rod and bar stock. Unless I come up with another solution, I might have to make the investment.

My thinking was that a little change that far downstream would translate into a much greater change in position out at the end, but I see now, from that template, that the home stretch of the neck actually shows good alignment.

Of course, since the top of the tank (to the floor), that's the true plane of reference, I want to 'dry fit' the new tank (as well as the original) to the vehicle and also make a similar comparison template. However, due to family health matters that require my attention, I won't get anywhere near that point until next year.

Posted on: 2019/8/28 9:51
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved