Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bolt torque specification 1934 Super Eight
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Super8
See User information
Hello,

Does anyone have torque specifications for the water jacket cover plate on the 1934 Super Eight engine? I would very much appreciate it. The torque sequence would be great too.

Regards

Super8

Posted on: 2019/7/14 5:05
 Top  Print 

Re: Bolt torque specification 1934 Super Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There were few or no torque specifications in that era, they really came into play primarily as a result of WWII manufacturing experience. Just tighten consistent with the bolt grade and thread size. There was no sequence published nor is one necessary. If you're concerned about your plate being warped, starting in the center and working towards the ends would be logical.

Posted on: 2019/7/14 6:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You can reference ASTM tables for torque standards. They have lots of different types.

The table below is one example. I would use the grade 2 figure for paper gaskets and gradual hand tight for imitation cork gaskets.

If you wanted to be super scientific you would put a bore gauge into the cylinders to check for any distortion from uneven torque.

The system is not pressurized so lots of torque is not necessary.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.38 KB)
373_5d2b1f443b8c6.jpg 588X478 px

Posted on: 2019/7/14 7:25
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Super8
See User information
Thank you for the response. While I suspected that torque spec were probably not published i was surprised recently when I have found them for a Ford Model A (including sequence for head bolts). I thought that maybe enough folks would have gone through the procedure to advise on value.

I will use the ASTM data.

Regards

Super8

Posted on: 2019/7/14 16:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
On cylinder heads I used the postwar chart as a guide.

It is a modified cross pattern.

I think those thick gaskets tend to compress as they age and thus the issue of multiple torque. However, in the old days we didn't have that problem.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 11:38
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved