Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Stromberg Carb Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Absolutely!

Posted on: 2019/7/13 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I liked Jayne better that Sophia, myself....

Posted on: 2019/7/13 20:28
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't recall anything negative mentioned on the forum with carbs done by the Carb Doctor so you would probably be OK but Daytona also does Stromberg rebuilds and they are only an hour away from you so maybe an option there too.

Posted on: 2019/7/13 20:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The hot rodders love those Stromberg gas dumpers and it would be great if those reproductions would fit on Packards.

You can run the car with the top removed to check the float action. I had a problem like yours with a rebuilt and it turned out to be chunks of dirt in the main jet wells. Don't ask me how it got there.

There used to be an outfit called Tire Trading that was the official Stromberg distributor. The owner was a whack job and only a few people got to know what he had in stock. Somehow a brand new 34 Su8 carburetor came out of there and the difference was so spectacular as to render the old unit junk.

Rebuilt carburetors are never as good as NOS. Just ask any old timer who worked in a dealer.

Posted on: 2019/7/14 7:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I can't think of any part that can generate more question marks when out of a 'rebuild box' than a carburetor. I've had them transform poor running vehicles back to flawless performance and, in one case, it took THREE carbs before I got a good one! And that was a single barrel for a GM 250-6cyl.
I have bought 2 carbs from the Carburetor Exchange in El Monte CA for my '39 Six, and the latest one still leaks gas, seemingly out of the float bowl. I sent it back to them, they played with it, returned it, and it still leaks! Not sure where to go from here.

Posted on: 2019/7/14 12:11
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi,
Does anyone have the contact info for Daytona? I'm not sure what to search for. Is it Daytona Carbs ... ?
Thanks,
Crin

Posted on: 2019/7/15 15:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Daytona Parts in New Smyrna Beach

http://www.daytonaparts.com

Posted on: 2019/7/15 15:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved