Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 142

Packard Don, Dads 56, Ted Kitzmiller, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super 8 - Rear Light Bulb
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
What is the correct procedure to accessing and changing the rear stop/turn signal light bulb in my formal sedan (1807)?

I have removed the regular slotted screw on the top of the unit but nothing happens nor does anything move easier. I looked in the trunk and see no access. If I remove the rear wheel and stick my head in the wheel well, I see there are two nuts (besides me) in proximity to the stop/turn indicator... Is this the access to that light socket and bulb?

Thanks

Posted on: 2019/7/14 16:25
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Super 8 - Rear Light Bulb
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I just did mine and all you do is remove the top slotted screw and carefully pull straight out the red glass lens and chrome surround......carefully! In other words don't drop the glass lens. You may have to wiggle it a little bit to slide it out.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/7/14 16:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thanks. I tested this process on one of my lights and it worked perfectly. The other light appears to have had the rubber gasket fuse to both the housing and the glass lens.

I am debating if I should apply a flame to the glass to soften the gasket...

Posted on: 2019/7/15 19:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nothing to debate, do NOT apply a flame to the glass lens. If you feel you must use heat, start by trying something indirect and very gentle, for example a hot air hair dryer.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 20:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thanks.
With a little hot air and (over night) silicone spray, was able to soften up the sticky rubber to the rear lens. I used a large paper clip , bent the end of it to a 90 degree angle and was able to get behind part of the lens and pull it out.

Posted on: 2019/7/16 16:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have had good luck using PB Blaster to soften rubber. JWL

Posted on: 2019/7/17 11:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Great Suggestion. I live for PB Blaster. It works great on my 70 year old radiators!

Any issue with replacing the rubber lens gaskets with cork?

Posted on: 2019/7/17 18:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If you have ArmorAll, spray it on heavy and gently work around the rubber with a wooden skewer or tongue depressor. Easy does it or you'll have to buy a new one from Steele Rubber. That's your backup. The one in there is pre-war real rubber most likely.

Posted on: 2019/7/17 18:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
You could also go to any 'rubber house' that sells sheet rubber and buy a square foot of 1/16" neoprene and trace your old one onto it with a pen and cut it out with a good pair of scissors, or a super-sharp utility knife. Hole punches for the machine screws and you're in biz. Chris

Posted on: 2019/7/17 21:08
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved