Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 150

humanpotatohybrid, Carl Roser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 88 89 90 (91) 92 93 94 ... 120 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
yes, that is the felt, but I agree with all that given the amount of oil in the clutch pan, unlikely that this is really the problem...its more of a dust shield than a "seal".

And then if the rear main seal is leaking (still a maybe), I would not think it would blow forward to make such a mess of your beautiful engine, so you may indeed be chasing multiple leaks. I hate to speculate, so I will simply stay in the cheap seats from far away and watch as you progress....
And yes, the distributor is driven off the oil pump, which will continue to rotate with the distributor out. And yes, in theory you could reinstall the distributor 180 degrees off, but given that you photo'd the position, I think even you are smart enough to put it back in the correct orientation.

Posted on: 2019/7/14 16:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I will ask John about the wood pieces. I didn't detach the rear piece with the copper washings from the bell housing.

There was so much oil under there, and it's far foward, from the fuel pump and the oil canister back to the overdrive, so I think it's multiple leaks.

There was no loss of oil on the entire trip down, but maybe a 1/2 quart on the 600 miles home. And the loss of brake fluid was high. That went somewhere. New Master and stoplight switch and fittings. So just have to chase each one down quickly. Thanks, Howard and David.

Posted on: 2019/7/14 19:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
LEAKS: We set 5-3'x3' sheets of paper under the car to ID drips. We ran the car for an hour to work ing the Blue Devil Rear Main Sealer. The only serious drip after that was from the transmission. 3 plugs were not tight all the way. The gear oil must be able to work its way forward into the bell housing. We think it's under control now. There is a minor leak from the oil pump. And a drop from the pumpkin.

FUEL PUMP: We had a major fuel leak that looked like it was coming from the diaphragm. It was from the threads of the little air dome that needed tightening to stop it. In the meantime, I learned that the fuel pump that fell apart had a lifetime guarantee, so I will be returning it to Kanter.

DISTRIBUTOR: Ken at Auto Battery & Electric installed new bushings and a NOS breaker plate. The distributor had been rebuilt by another local place 3 years ago, but instead of drilling the hole for the grease in correct size bushings, they had installed 2 bushings half the height of the proper ones, to save time I guess. These apparently did not support the shaft sufficiently, so it was wobbly at the tune-up just before the trip to CA last month. Now it's not wobbly.

KICK-DOWN: I took bracket off the firewall, cleaned up the switch and repositioned it according to the manual. It took several tries to get everything right. My daughter Molly is now an expert at removing and replacing the bracket. I now have full throttle And kick-down into passing gear.

CLUTCH: Covered in oil. Once the distributor was in, I propped the clutch open,I marked each section of the clutch and sprayed it, rotated it and sprayed again. I went through 4 cans of brake cleaner before dirty fluid stopped coming out , then replaced the bell housing.

SHOW PREP: So now we just need to wash and vacuum, Lexol the seats, Meguiars show glaze on the body and chrome, and clean the engine for the pre-concours tour through some of Oregon's wine country on Saturday.

So we're in pretty good shape, special thanks to Howard, Dave, David, Feltz.

Posted on: 2019/7/17 19:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I'm sure this is painful to watch.

There still was a leak from the transmission this morning, and since I'd tightened everything from the underside and there was a faint trail of oil from above, I decided to pull up the carpet and access the tranny from the top.

Lo and behold, I discovered a nice wet hexscrew with a hole in it holding the transmission cover.

It's obviously the source of oil below.

Why is this the only screw with a hole in the top?

Is it in the correct position on the cover or did I replace it incorrectly? (You know that's what I'm thinking.)

I found an older photo when we pulled the transmission to replace the clutch (which was been slipping due to oil leak). That was the first time I washed the clutch in 2013. That screw was in the same position, so it could have been the source of leaking oil back then. Argh.

Anyway I'm tempted to replace it with a screw that doesn't have a built-in leak hole.

Parts book lists 6 - 5/16-18 x 13/16 hexhead screws
2 - 5/16-18 x 1-1/2 screws
1 - breather screw for column shift cars (1803 included)
But where do they go?

Attach file:

jpg  (173.27 KB)
1067_5d30a270b46b0.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  (339.13 KB)
1067_5d30a27f56dbe.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (230.51 KB)
1067_5d30a28b70d2c.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (55.97 KB)
1067_5d30a29968b4c.jpg 502X350 px

Posted on: 2019/7/18 11:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bolt with the hole is a breather and goes on the top cover.. I don't find the drawing at the moment but if I remember it was passenger side rear in that sort of raised location. On some there is a sheetmetal cap over the bolt to keep dirt out of the hole.

Since you can access the top of the trans you might verify the length of the bolt with one of the others to make sure they are all the same. Also make sure the hole at the right rear cover goes thru to the trans innards to provide a vent. If so then see if the bolt length placed in the rear location would raise the bottom of the bolt higher than in the present location. I could see that if the length of bolt threaded into the case far enough, it could place the bolt end near oil and expansion or being thrown by gears might let oil come out the hole.

Must confess, I don't see how a leak there could be getting inside the bellhousing unless there is some kind of opening I am missing. It would seem to me that a leak behind the bellhousing should be blown toward the rear of the car, not forward. If the bolt was not venting then I could see oil getting forced thru the nose and input shaft area due to expansion so this will be interesting once you figure it out. Could the oil be dripping down the side and into the bellhousing via the clutch fork opening or perhaps between the trans and bellhousing? Between would seem hard as I recall the shoulder on my trans nose was a snug fit into the hole in the bellhousing.

Posted on: 2019/7/18 12:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, Howard.
I have quite a menagerie in there.
The parts book calls for the hexhead screws listed above and lock washers only. Not sure where the copper washers came from. They look original but not listed. Also needed is a cap on the breather screw.
There's a bent metal piece that looks like a place for an ID tag.
As you can see, one of the longer 1-1/2" plain screws (far left) has more thread than needed, so I'll look for one that matches the other, 86 the copper, and look for a hex head breather cap. Put lock washers on all 6. The only pillar positions are the 2 rear and the middle driver's side where the leaky one is, so I'll move the breather to the rear passenger side. I know I could confirm it's the right place if I lift the cover off, gasket isn't leaking, so I don't want to cause any More trouble.

Attach file:

jpg  (423.71 KB)
1067_5d30bf5c54290.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/7/18 13:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
shooting from the hip here based on faint memories....vented bolt, with dust cap, usually at rear of cover...I don't specifically recall left or right, but would be worthy of underside examination. Sure...plenty of room to disassemble all that...

Posted on: 2019/7/18 13:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am thinking the 3 shortest go front and right middle. Breather and longest go to the rear with breather on right. Can't tell if the middle left where the breather is in the photo is raised as much as the rear two but if so, the other long one.

If the length of the breather bolt reaches the same depth to oil in the rear hole as in the previous location then is the oil level proper or was the car parked at an angle that could let oil level get high enough on that side to flow out the bolt?

Posted on: 2019/7/18 14:18
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On the vented screw there is supposed to be a cap that allows it to vent while keeping out dirt and water. It is stamped of steel, looks like a star and snaps over the head.

Posted on: 2019/7/18 14:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Vented screw goes right rear. Mounted where yours is it will pick up the surge of oil from the rotating shaft and spew it like a breaching sperm whale. Especially without the cap.

Posted on: 2019/7/18 17:36
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 88 89 90 (91) 92 93 94 ... 120 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved