Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 81

BDeB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1933 Super 8 fuel pump question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Super8
See User information
Hello,

I am reassembling the engine on my 1933 Super 8. It looks like the fuel pump stays out of the engine block and would require a spacer between the block and the mounting flange of the pump. I checked the part book but no luck there. Does anyone know if the pump gets mounted directly on the block or is there an intermediate part?

Thanks

Super8

Posted on: 2019/7/18 1:48
 Top  Print 

Re: 1933 Super 8 fuel pump question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not sure how you missed it but it is in the parts book, part number 210127 on page 97, listed under "Motor Fuel Pump- attaching parts". It's a thermal insulator block, quite thick (about 3/8" or maybe a bit more). In the 1933-36 parts book it's listed as used all years on both the Eight and Super Eight, and believe it was also used in later years on the 320 engine.

I suspect I have an extra, I can get some dimensions for you if needed.

Posted on: 2019/7/18 7:54
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Super8
See User information
I guess I never thought of this part being called an Insulator. Is it made of steel or rather some type of thick joint? I see now in the parts book there is also a ??insulator washer?? any idea what it is?

Yes I would love to either buy one or get dimensions and I will get one made.

Thank you for the usual great support.

Super8

Posted on: 2019/7/19 5:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The block, washers (under the bolt heads) , and I believe sleeves or bushings (over the bolt shafts) are all part of the installation package used to thermally isolate the pump from the heat of the crankcase, obviously to minimize the chance for vapor lock in stressful situation. The block is dark, almost black, made of some polymeric material, perhaps paper or fabric reinforced. Thickness is about 0.390" with a thin paper gasket on both sides.

Posted on: 2019/7/19 7:46
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Super8
See User information
Thank you. Are you interested in parting with your spare one?

Posted on: 2019/7/19 8:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Given the amount that I drive this car, I generally don't part with a spare if it's my only one. I'll take a look later today, I have a vague recollection of having yet another one and if I can find it, it will be available.

UPDATE: Sorry, I don't have an extra available. But easy enough to make, same outer profile as the pump flange, clearance on the inside for the arm motion; I can post a scan if you need it. It's going to get wet with oil splash from the crankcase so to make one I'd pick a material that's going to be compatible with warm motor oil.

Posted on: 2019/7/19 9:08
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Super8
See User information
Ok. Thanks for checking. I will find something. Many cars had similar setups below the carburetor so I should be able to find something. Thanks for all your help.

Posted on: 2019/7/19 16:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Hi; You might give Bruce Blevins a call, he has a lit of 33-34 parts.
1 (810) 287-7722

Posted on: 2019/7/19 20:08

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Super8
See User information
Good idea. I know Bruce. Thanks.

Posted on: 2019/7/19 20:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
If you don't have success with Bruce, PM me with the all dimensions and thickness of the spacer. I've had ones made for other makes using water jet cutting.

Made out of, Garolite sheet, cotton fabric reinforcement (phenolic / bakelite, available thickness 1/8, 1/4. 1/2, 3/4, and 1".

Color: Black
Max. Temperature: 235? F
Tensile Strength: 6,000-10,000 psi (Good)
Impact Strength: 1.4-1.7 ft.-lbs./in. (Poor)
Hardness: Rockwell M90 (Hard)

Posted on: 2019/7/20 7:53
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved