Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power window master switch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M. Heinzen
See User information
Hello, I Search for my 1955 400 a power window master switch. My current switch doesn't go up at driverside Window... Any tips Ideas? matthias

Attach file:

jpg  (330.49 KB)
61127_5d335695de3a7.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (227.08 KB)
61127_5d3356aba8efd.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/7/20 13:00
 Top  Print 

Re: Power window master switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if you will find any new switches but there are probably some used around. There are two main causes for switch problems that have been found so far.

One is the plug that mates to the pins on the back of the switch has contacts inside the plug that bend or stretch and lose shape and contact with a pin. This is probably because of the pull of the wire bundle and the lack of fastening to the switch body.

The other and more common issue seems to be a relatively tiny surface area on the movable switch contact or "button" burns away because of the high motor current and the arc that develops as you let off the switch when the motor is stalled at top or bottom of travel. The contact surface is actually the small end of a rivet and as far as I know there is no repair that has been figured out or being done by anyone. I looked for a compatible rivet but did not find anything that was small enough or shaped properly. Trying to repair using silver solder to build up the surface I think would be very difficult if not impossible because the mounting piece is phenolic and can't take a high temperature.

To add to the problem is apparently Packard had two vendors or two versions of the switch. I have not compared them myself but another poster who had hoped to repair his switch with parts from another found his two switches were different and parts would not interchange. If you cannot find another good switch the parts are the same for each switch section inside the master. Two sliding "contact buttons" are used for each switch section. You could move the bad contact to a window not used often and swap a good piece for the drivers window. The 4 chrome visible pieces are held by a pin which can be pushed out of the switch body. Once the pin is out the chrome part can be lifted off and the "buttons" will then come out as well. There is a spring under each "button".

It was mentioned at one time that Cadillac might have used the same switch. Does anyone know if this is true. If so there is a Cadillac place that has some switch repair parts and if there is a chance Packard and Cadillac used the same internal parts maybe some kind of repair would be possible.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.84 KB)
209_5d336bb067a2e.jpg 710X557 px

jpg  (100.45 KB)
209_5d336bbd1ba83.jpg 1025X734 px

jpg  (49.55 KB)
209_5d336dcedfcda.jpg 771X563 px

Posted on: 2019/7/20 14:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the correct switch for your car is p/n 472029, I have at least one, new in original packaging. It looks the same as your photos except that the contact pins on the rear appear to be bright nickel plated and not naked brass.

Attach file:

jpg  (121.51 KB)
177_5d3497fae5cb2.jpg 1175X1370 px

Posted on: 2019/7/20 15:50
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M. Heinzen
See User information
Howard many thanks for your valuable hint. I tried to fix it, but it's necessery to change the switch.

Posted on: 2019/7/21 11:20
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M. Heinzen
See User information
Hi Owen, yes that's the part I need. Could I Buy it? Matthias

Posted on: 2019/7/21 11:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, it's available. Sending you a PM in a few minutes.

Posted on: 2019/7/21 11:53
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved