Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
One thing I've encountered with my "new" '55 400 is that it's often extremely difficult to get the Ultramatic out of the park position, even on level ground. I suspect I'm not the first to run into this. Ideas?

Posted on: 2019/7/29 17:57
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic Park
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Early 55s had issues coming out of park but hopefully all the mods were done back in the day. The parking pawl and parking gear mesh was one issue and the contour of the two was reground to provide a smoother engagement and release. The other was the lever where the manual select rod connects on the drivers side of the trans was originally made so it was positioned almost flat when in park. If the linkage loosened, wore or just kind of dropped the rod and lever would fall to a straight line or even have a dip. When moving the operator lever, with the linkage in a straight line nothing could happen. The lever on the side of trans was redesigned so it was more vertical when in park and the rod length was changed to match the new lever position.

The linkage issue is easy to check but it will require going under and would be easier with a helper. When the operator lever is in park look at the rod and lever on the drivers side of the trans. If it is in a straight line that is an issue. With someone trying to move the operator lever out of detent you could lift up on the rod and see if the other person could easily move it out of park as you lift. If so, finding the reason and fixing the straight line would be the place to concentrate. Also need to check the detent assy in the trans to make sure a lever on the manual shaft has not loosened and slop there is the cause of the outside lever falling down. Checking the parking pawl and gear is another story and would also require going into the unit but fairly easily done if you have the pan down to check the detent. I am not sure you can even see any difference in those parts so it would be a matter of watching to see if the pawl was wanting to stick in the gear and the spring was unable to pull it down.

One other thing to check is the bellcrank assy where the vertical rod from the operator lever coming from the column transitions to the horizontal rod to the trans. The assy is between the side of the engine and frame and supported by rubber bushings and brackets. The brackets have been known to loosen and rubber bushings deteriorate. Either could result in some lost motion and issues.

If everything checks out inside and with the bellcrank then maybe changing the lever and rod would be the next move.

Posted on: 2019/7/29 18:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved