Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 22 »

Re: TrevorK's 1955 Packard Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't think just removing valve covers will work. The holes for the pushrods going thru the head are not much larger than the rod diameters and too small for a lifter to pull thru. Once you pull the valve covers and remove the rockers and pushrods, believe you will need to remove the intake manifold and valley cover to get access and space for the lifters.

Posted on: 2019/7/29 16:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Trevor, should we assume you have the clattering lifter problem? If so, are you aware of all the other associated suspect contributors to the problem before you go ahead and assume your lifters themselves are the problem? If not, it's a huge subject still with some unknowns and maybe you should start by reading some of the thousands of words written about it here before just throwing parts at it. If you've already been thru all that, my apologies.

Does you engine have the upgraded cam spacer and thrust plate? Have you tried running 1/2 quart over full on oil? What kinds of oil pressures do you get, hot at road speed and hot idle? Again, apologies if you've given us all this before and I just missed it.

Posted on: 2019/7/29 18:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
It's just one lifter on the passenger side. This has been an on and off issue since I got the car, diagnosed by my mechanic, it was resolved for a while after the Olds oil pump conversion. Then it came back after I relocated to Utah, but not immediately. Only around when Spring/Summer started to come in. I figured maybe changing out the oil and filter may help, and using a heavier oil may help- and it did- until just recently. So finally I've decided enough is enough.

Don't know if it has the camp spacer and thrust plate updates, I don't recall the oil pressure readings after the conversion but it was good...I bet I have it marked down from either Jack or my previous mechanic somewhere.

Just finally being driven nuts by one stinking lifter. Maybe it's just worth performing another oil change with an additive and then changing again.

Posted on: 2019/7/29 20:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK, I didn't realize you have the Olds pump package and it's just a single lifter. So it's much more likely you just have a bad or dirty single lifter. In the old days, Alemite CD-2 and Shaler Rislone were the popular snake oils for such problems. No downside to giving something like that a try, but even at the most optimistic view it's a long shot.

Posted on: 2019/7/29 21:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Yeah, I was thinking an additive would be a long shot and it's probably better to just replace the lifters - I don't want to do just one and suddenly have others bite it. Plus I'm eager to learn how to do more of my own work, I enjoy it.

Posted on: 2019/7/30 7:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Before resorting to a snake oil cure, try the old-time mechanic remedy: change the oil and swap one quart of motor oil for a quart of automatic transmission fluid. The old mechanics I knew all swore by it to quiet noisy lifters. Give it a try.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/7/30 8:55
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
May be worth a shot, at least until the weather cools down enough to do more serious work.

Posted on: 2019/7/30 12:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Ok so I'm hoping to try to ATF thing to clear up a sticking lifter this weekend. If that doesn't work I'll start collecting the parts to replace the lifters.

Question: Is this something a noob, like me, can learn to do and SHOULD do or is this something I should cut a check for? I really would rather learn, but I don't want to go into this not knowing what I don't know and then really cock things up.

Posted on: 2019/8/2 7:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Ok, a quart of ATF in with the oil, after pulling a quart of oil out with my evacuator, since I just changed it last month. So far, no changes but I've only done a few short drives and idling. I do think, however, that I have narrowed the bad lifter down to the #6 or #8 cylinder...which is directly obstructed by the heater box. In for a penny in for a pound. If the ATF trick doesn't work (hoping to put about 50-100 miles on then change it out) then lifters it is. Hope to report back by end of month.

Posted on: 2019/8/4 11:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
While I wait for the ATF to hopefully do its thing, I decided to just go get some generic exhaust hangers for the passenger side pipe that was knocking about. Was able to cobble something together. I've forgotten who suggested I do that, but thanks for the suggestion. Now all I hear is the ticking lifter!

Posted on: 2019/8/10 9:50
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved