Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New guy from Northern Illinois
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Pauley
See User information
I looked and did not see an introduce yourself section so I will try and fit it in here. If I am in the wrong place please let me know.

After retiring last December, I have been looking for a "Project Car" as If I do not have anything else to do.
Well I dragged home a 1954 Clipper Panama a week ago. I am not new to Old cars and have owned a few over the years. I also have a 1966 Cadillac conv that I purchased in 1997.
This is the first time working on a car with the Availability of the world wide web to help with locating parts and priceless info and data like is available from good people and copied data on this site.
It runs, brakes are there but will be in for a rebuild, Trans leaks a lot from the front seal when running and will need a Rebuilt to be reliable. Has the 327 with a single bbl carter. I did an oil change and plan to do a compression test soon to try and see what I have. I was tempted to drop the pan and clean it out, I have on all my other new arrivals. It shows 79500 miles. I plan to keep it in as it left the factory (stock) condition unless I hit a brick wall. Thanks for having me. Bill

Posted on: 2019/8/7 18:43
Life is what you make of it, Plan for the worse and hope for the best!
 Top  Print 

Re: New guy from Northern Illinois
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome and as far as being in the proper place I think you will find for the most part we are not too worried about things like that on this forum. It is nice to keep the year you are asking about to the relevant forum since some only look thru forums for years they are interested in but General covers a multitude.

Some forums are more structured but on this one chances are when a post gets started with one subject, by the time the thread ends the subject will have veered off a couple of times or could be something else entirely. It does make searching more difficult but for the most part it is a tradeoff that is accepted because this forum was in part started due to some heavy handed restrictions on another forum that many felt went overboard.

If you have not already done so, I suggest you look thru BigKevs project blog. He started with a 54 Clipper sedan and just about everything he has done is relevant to your car and something you might need to do too.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=205#forumpost205

Posted on: 2019/8/7 19:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bill,
aboard.

PS -Please don't forget my earlier request.

Posted on: 2019/8/7 20:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Quote:
After retiring last December, I have been looking for a "Project Car" as If I do not have anything else to do.

Welcome to Packard info, Bill. Being a relatively recent retiree myself, I got a kick out of your 'as if I do not have anything else to do'. Retirement most certainly does not mean inactivity, does it?!?!? I'm busier now than I've ever been, but I too, also managed to 'fit' a vintage car in there and have had a lot of fun, and learned a great deal along the way. Best of luck on your 'new' project. I think you'll find Packard Info an exemplary source of good folks, ample info and assistance. Chris

Posted on: 2019/8/7 20:51
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Bill

Welcome to this friendliest, most knowledgeable, enthusiastic, generous, helpful and civil Packard forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement here standing by to avail yourself of as you tackle every problem. A great deal of historic information is here for the simply filling out your knowledge base.

There are no dumb questions. After all, these cars are all now 60+ years old but fortunately interest in, knowledge of and parts support for remains at a high level. Ask any and all questions that arise, but do a search first which because so many problems have been encountered by others on the same issues, will frequently produce instant answers to the problem at hand.

To document your progress and share it with all of us, please start a project blog in that section. Not only does it make it easier to post your questions but also to find the answers later for reference. Of course, we all like to see how things are progressing too. Check out the other ongoing Project Blogs for ideas as well.

Good luck with your 1954 Clipper Panama. Please show us what you've bought and keep us up on your progress.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/8/8 8:59
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Bill
Glad to meet you. Welcome

Posted on: 2019/8/8 10:09
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Pauley
See User information
Thanks for the welcome. I went to the registry and have not yet figured out how to add my car. I have PM'ed Big Kev, seems that we live only a few miles apart. I will be sure to take a look at his blog. Now that I am retired I do not know how I had time to work!!! Thanks, I ran a compression test today and the news was good to me. Low of 115 and High of 130. Engine runs smooth as silk. Tires, Brakes and Trans are my priorities. Small Wish list. 1 or 2 headlight bezels, and one or both front turn signal lenses.
Now I have something to dig for at the swap meets. :)

Posted on: 2019/8/8 10:33
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Pauley
See User information
Too hot to work in the garage today so I spent the afternoon with this site. I have read Big Kev's blog and found how to add my car to the registry. The FAQ works great when you read it!!! Thanks for all your help. Bill

Posted on: 2019/8/8 16:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
There are a number of Packard people in the Chicago area. I'd suggest you join the national Packard Automobile Classics club ($48 annual dues-monthly newsletter and quarterly glossy magazine) and then join one of the Illinois or Wisconsin clubs. Most PAC local club annual dues are $20-$40.

The national PAC website:
https://www.packardclub.org/

Local club members can offer ideas and suggestions plus they may have extra parts.

Check out the BigKev project blog on this website. A detailed video log that follows the restoration of a 1954 Clipper sedan.

Good luck

Posted on: 2019/8/8 21:41
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved