Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Determining the build date of our Packards
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Is there a way I can determine the build date of our Packards by the serial and body numbers? I'd like to know if our Patrician and Clipper are older or younger than I am!

Posted on: 2019/8/12 11:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Determining the build date of our Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What model years are your cars?

The short answer is no.

Except for 1955/1956, you can make an educated guess from the theft-proof number which except for extremely early or late numbers might get you within a month or so of the build date. For some V8 models you can get a copy of an original shipping order which would get you generally within a few days. Generally vehicle numbers are only useful in making good guesses if they are very early or late numbers and we also know which models and body styles initiated or ended production. For example we know that the initial 22nd series production consisted of only convertibles.

Posted on: 2019/8/12 12:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless the engine has been swapped, one other possible way to get within a few months would be to find a casting date on the block. Haven't read that Packard stockpiled large volumes of unfinished blocks or finished engines so doubt the date the block was cast and then engine finished and installed in the car would be different by more than a month or two.

Posted on: 2019/8/12 13:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted on: 2019/8/13 9:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Sometimes one can find the "build sheet" under the front carpet. I found the remains of the one for my 55 Clipper there near the transmission hump. Good luck. JWL

Here is a photo of what was left of the "build sheet". Mostly gone, but a valuable find. JWL

Attach file:

jpg  (22.11 KB)
565_5d52eb3b1c320.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2019/8/13 11:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Contact the gift shop at the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, give them your vehicle numbers and $45 each and they will send you your build sheet and shipping manifest.

Posted on: 2019/8/28 11:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Unless the engine has been swapped, one other possible way to get within a few months would be to find a casting date on the block. Haven't read that Packard stockpiled large volumes of unfinished blocks or finished engines so doubt the date the block was cast and then engine finished and installed in the car would be different by more than a month or two. Posted on: 8/12 19:39:15 _________________ Howard

I've never found any correlation between engine casting date codes and car build dates. Most blocks carry 1955 dates, so it would seem the contract foundry cast most of them within a short window.

jack vines

Posted on: 2019/8/28 11:22
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Great! Thank you!

Posted on: 2019/8/29 8:21
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved