Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 41

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

distributor on a 37
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jt34
See User information
On my 37 touring sedan 115 C I was adjusting the timing and I cant find the hold down clam or anything that holds the distributor in place. The only thing keeping it somewhat secure is the tubing that goes to the vacuum advance. The only bolts on it are what goes into the engine block. I made a adjustment by bending the tubing somewhat is that how it is normally done???

Posted on: 2019/8/9 20:25
 Top  Print   

Re: distributor on a 37
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Quote:
I made a adjustment by bending the tubing somewhat is that how it is normally done???

Hi JT34, No, bending the tubing is NOT how the timing is adjusted. When you say 'The only bolts on it are what goes into the engine', that is normally what secures the distributor. I have a '39 so not sure if yours would be EXACTLY the same, and my car is equipped with Autolite ignition components (Delco is usually the other choice) so you would have to identify what distributor you have. If Autolite, there are usually 2 bolts holding it in the block and then a clamping mechanism on the bottom. On mine, the clamp has a slot screw, that I find difficult to properly tighten, so I usually back off the 2 block bolts just enough that the distributor can turn (but leaving it tight enough so that when the timing is adjusted, it will stay put while you tighten it) and then with a timing light, check the advance/retard of the engine. This with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged and the idle at normal RPM. Your manual will tell you the range of degrees your engine should run at, for example, my manual says '6 - 7 1/2 degrees advance'. Yours may be slightly different. Hope this helps - good luck. Chris.

Posted on: 2019/8/9 20:42
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Something similar to this is what you should be looking at that holds the distributor in position and allows rotational adjustment. There are a lot of variations on the theme, I don't recall what year/model this particular style is from.

Attach file:

jpg  (137.76 KB)
177_5d4eba8714b2e.jpg 1500X749 px

Posted on: 2019/8/10 7:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jt34
See User information
I will check on the distributor on the make of it and too look again to see if there is a a clamp of some sort at the bottom where the bolts go into the block, thanks for the help on this.

Posted on: 2019/8/10 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks for posting that pic, Dave. That slot-head screw is a bastard to try and tighten UNDER the distributor. On my car, you need a stubby screwdriver and it is clumsy at best to address. Even one of the bolts is a little tough to get a wrench on, but if 'just loose', I can swivel the distributor body and re-tighten them and get a good 'time'. Your picture sure shows it better for jt34 though.... Chris

Posted on: 2019/8/10 21:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I agree, the bolt for loosening the distributor clamp is difficult to get to. I replaced the original bolt with a sleeve and a longer bolt to make it easier to get to when setting the timing. I think I have a photo of it and will look and post it if I find it.

Also, check your owner's manual. There in it is described the "Octane Adjustment" feature for quickly advancing and retarding the timing to cope with the wide range of gasoline quality when these cars were new. Don't have a manual? They are available in reprint from Kanter or maybe the Packard Club.

JWL

Attach file:

jpg  (29.58 KB)
565_5d5054aa8e693.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2019/8/11 12:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Very nice, John! Can I ask what you used there?? If it isn't something specially machined, I would try and duplicate that. (if okay with you!?!?) Also, for jt34, your manual is probably even available on this site, I know mine is. (38/39) Click on Packard literature & manuals in the main menu to the left of the screen and go from there. Good luck. Chris

Posted on: 2019/8/11 13:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
The '37 Manuals are all available on this site - I prefer the '37/'38 condensed manual (red book) vs. the '37 condensed manual (green book), because it talks about some of the differences and the mid-year upgrades.

I used the free copy on this site for some time, but bought a reprint from PAC a few years ago - the paper copy is just easier sometimes. Very reasonable, and very helpful.

Posted on: 2019/8/12 8:01
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Packard newbie wrote:
Very nice, John! Can I ask what you used there?? If it isn't something specially machined, I would try and duplicate that. (if okay with you!?!?)...

Real simple fix: a piece of 5/16" tubing and a longer bolt. No patent on this thing, charge on! JWL

Posted on: 2019/8/12 17:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
give up your secrets JW....that looks suspiciously like the flared end of a piece of leftover brake/trans line

Posted on: 2019/8/12 20:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved