Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 151

Jack Vines, BigKev, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Is this a 2259 - 2279 boot bag?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Does anyone know what the boot bags look like?

Attach file:

jpeg  (242.99 KB)
1220_5d4f80abb3353.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (311.23 KB)
1220_5d4f80d4283b7.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (311.86 KB)
1220_5d4f80f6ee5a9.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (340.94 KB)
1220_5d4f81226fa52.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (355.87 KB)
1220_5d4f8147d7878.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/8/10 21:45
 Top  Print 

Re: Is this a 2259 - 2279 boot bag?
Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Cool find. Thanks for sharing, I know I'll create a reminder to revisit this when the time comes to hire an upholstery shop. Can you tell what the material is: Naugahyde?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted on: 2019/8/11 8:01
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Naugahyde is a brand name for a producer's flexible PVC (vinyl). The bag is almost certainly vinyl.

Posted on: 2019/8/11 8:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I do not know what it is made of.
I have been "pressing" it flat for a while.

I'm trying to find out from those who have a boot bag if this could be the right size, and was an original one. It was scrunched up in the box from an estate sale of a Packard collector a few years ago.

Posted on: 2019/8/11 10:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Based on the packaging, it is almost certainly authentic 'Packard'. Re it's composition, hard to tell, but it almost looks like cloth or canvass inserted neoprene or nitrile. Although, given it's age, were it rubber, it'd be getting pretty brittle by now, I guess. I HAVE seen some pretty old rubber that is still in excellent shape though....

Posted on: 2019/8/11 18:31
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Does anyone know what the boot bags look like?

Hello... I have posted in the past about terminology for "top boot" as used in North America. Here is clear evidence that PMCC used the very same terminology as I have talked about in the past.

The box shown at one time should have included both the top boot and the boot storage bag. Yes the boot storage bag appears to be approximately the right size although slightly shrunk. The boot bag appears to be of accurate original construction with a flap and correct domed snap.

The material used there was a kind of vinyl-coated canvas. It was particularly prone to shrinking and polymer migration wherein the coating became brittle and flaked off of the canvas. So it would seem that having one in this condition, with the original box is quite a feat indeed.

You can get a look at the slightly different boot bag that came with the 1955 Howard Hughes/Jean Peters car in the back issue of "The Packard Cormorant" Magazine with the story that appeared back in the 1970s. Some of these issues may still be available from The Packard Club (Packard Club.org)...look under the heading "Cormorant Mag Index" to search for the Howard Hughes Caribbean issue. Otherwise look on eBay.

Posted on: 2019/8/14 12:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Leedy's description is generally called vinyl-coated fabric. A solution of vinyl is sort of squeegeed onto a backing. A more common functional equivalent would be vinyl on a fabric scrim (cross-hatched backing), pressed together on large rollers.
This is now used as common upholstery vinyl. This part could be a great master pattern to reproduce this item.

It doesn't make sense to use" rubber" or nitrile rubber or neoprene (although neoprene would make a really good but overly expensive bag)

Posted on: 2019/8/14 12:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
Leedy's description is generally called vinyl-coated fabric. A solution of vinyl is sort of squeegeed onto a backing. A more common functional equivalent would be vinyl on a fabric scrim (cross-hatched backing), pressed together on large rollers.
This is now used as common upholstery vinyl. This part could be a great master pattern to reproduce this item.

It doesn't make sense to use" rubber" or nitrile rubber or neoprene (although neoprene would make a really good but overly expensive bag)

Yes, of course. But let's make that Leeedy (with 3 e's) instead of "Leedy"...

Mitchell-Bentley was particularly fond of using this kind of material, but they were extreme experts in using all kinds of vinyls and genuine leather. Their plant in Owosso, Michigan where they did vehicle interiors was amazing. I was lucky to see it when it was still in operation.

Posted on: 2019/8/14 14:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Assuming that the bags are of the same size,
Material and color were the reason for different part numbers?

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/index.php?mode=groupnumber&SearchValue=31.0529&ButtonLookup=Go

Posted on: 2019/8/14 15:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Assuming that the bags are of the same size,
Material and color were the reason for different part numbers?

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/index.php?mode=groupnumber&SearchValue=31.0529&ButtonLookup=Go

The V-8 boot bags are made of different material, were cut slightly different and were slightly larger. Remember, it is not just matter of the bag, but the design and material of the boot itself. The last two years of boots (particularly 1955) were made of completely different and bulkier materials and had stiffeners not included in earlier boots.

Posted on: 2019/8/14 16:48
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved