Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Identification of Packard transmissions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Looking from the outside, how can you tell if it is a gear start?
Note tag on dipstick, gear start only.

Assuming the transmissions are assembled and complete but out of the car the regular Ultras have the short dipstick tube pressed into the L upper portion of case just behind the bellhousing. 54 Gearstarts have an opening where their long fill tube and dipstick threads onto the left side of the pan. 55-6 Twin Ultras have the opening for the tube and dipstick on the right front side of pan.

If the 54 Gearstart is in the car the dipstick will come up in the area to the side of the starter motor and the shift quadrant will have 6 spaces with an additional dot denoting the 6th position and located next to H.

Posted on: 2019/8/24 14:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Don,

How can you tell a Henney transmission from a non Henney?

Any marking? Different casting numbers?

Got any pictures of one or two?

Posted on: 2019/8/24 14:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
HH,

Thank you.
The pan has a place for the dipstick on the driver side of the transmission pan.

Are the bell housing the same for non-gear start and gear start?

The bell housing in post 9, 12, 14, and 15 are curved more than the one in post 10.

Posted on: 2019/8/24 14:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bellhousing bolt pattern is the same for the regular and gear starts but the slight and subtle curvature in the original Ultra bellhousing is a visible difference between the regular and gear starts. In addition to the dipstick, another quick way to tell a gear start from a regular is look at the location of ports for the cooler lines. They are both on the right side of the case behind the bellhousing for the gear starts. For original Ultras, one is on the left side and the other is on the rear of the case.

Posted on: 2019/8/24 15:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
How can you tell a Henney transmission from a non Henney? Any marking? Different casting numbers? Got any pictures of one or two?

Good question and I'll take a look at one when I'm at my shop next week but I can say based on the parts book that the case is the same for Henney and non-Henney OD units. They differ internally and have different part numbers for the assembly but not sure of there is anything on the outside to differentiate them unless the part number is there.

Posted on: 2019/8/24 20:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
What year is this one?

What model/series does this fit?

Attach file:

jpeg  (242.54 KB)
1220_5d61edf1635fb.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (274.92 KB)
1220_5d61ee1c26a49.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (316.53 KB)
1220_5d61ee45b26c4.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (261.59 KB)
1220_5d61ee7555753.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/8/24 21:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Well, that's creative...I suppose that would work, but I've never seen that particular adaptation. Is there a u-joint flange beyond the speedo drive...why is that separated?

Posted on: 2019/8/24 21:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
What's the difference between these standard transmission?

Different casting numbers.

Referring to the photos in post #6

All 3 of these are the 1951-54 overdrive version and it is hard to tell 3 from 8 in the casting numbers.

The upper individual photo casting number is 412234 which is the case for 22nd and 23rd Series models with overdrive but is missing the 4 tapped holes in the cast bosses on the side for the rear motor mounts on these cars. With a casting date of 10.9 it may have been left over from 1950, never drilled and then used in a 1951 model.

The correct casting number in the lower 2 photos is 433192 which is the main case for all 1951-54 models, both standard and overdrive.

Not sure why the u-joint flanges are different.

The numbers quoted are as shown in the 1948-54 parts list.

Posted on: 2019/8/26 1:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
BDeB,

Thank you, that is interesting.
I didn't think the cast numbers were in the parts book.

Your explanation makes some sense on the difference in numbers.

Posted on: 2019/8/26 18:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Referring to Post #26: Where are the shift levers? Looks to me like it could be for a pre-war senior (8 or 12) transmission that has had an overdrive unit fitted. Strange, but interesting combination. The transmissions for the post-'39 S8 Packards used a separate bell (clutch) housing. Is it even for a Packard? JWL

A second look reveals what could be a temporary cover where the shifting mechanism would go. Maybe...

Posted on: 2019/8/27 11:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved