Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Single-Action Rear Shocks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had always thought that Packard rear shocks were dual-action which dampened both ways but apparently, for the Henneys at least, they were single-action. Hitting a bump had normal damping but hitting a hole, the wheel drops with a bang. The question is, are there single-action shocks or is it possible for one direction to wear out but not the other?

Also, the Henney shocks are huge. Is there any modern cross reference for them?

Posted on: 2019/8/26 18:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Single-Action Rear Shocks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
We ended up using light truck shocks from NAPA based on the length of the shock and the weight of the car for our 49 deluxe. They work great. We combined them with new rear springs from Eaton Detroit Spring and those springs fit just perfectly. They were shipped to me in Arizona with just a toe tag on them. A little box came along with the springs that had the rubber parts in it. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/8/27 10:43
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you Ernie! I'll likely have to take them to Napa for a match but what would help to know is if there really is such a thing as single-acting shocks.

Posted on: 2019/8/27 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Hi Don...I looked up the NAPA Invoice and the part number is 37037 Line:NS Description: OESPECTRUM TRK SHOCK. Price $46.49 each. Out the door with tax and tip $100.36. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/8/27 16:47
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Ernie, the Napa Shocks look great and would be fine for a passenger car but the Henney shocks are at least twice the diameter. They're huge! If I can find any old ones in my shop (I'm there now) I'll post a photo next to a standard Packard shock.

Posted on: 2019/8/27 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I've heard of single acting lever shocks, but can't say about tube type shocks.....

Posted on: 2019/9/10 18:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved