Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

My 1948 Deluxe was in a garage fire. Is it worth saving?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Sid
See User information
Two weeks ago a fire spread to my garage and home. The 22nd series is not a total loss but I wonder if it is worth the time and money to fix it? The nitro paint is horrible, at least the ignition wires are roastedand there is no way I would trust the tires or battery. Also, all the window glass is cracked. The interior seems untouched. I had not yet put the rebuilt radio in it. I just put in a new clutch assy, rear shocks, throw out bearing boot and retainer. Next on the list was to have nos outer rockers, and one inner one, welded in. Rebuilt the carb, wiper motor, fuel pump and fuel sending unit in the past 9 months also.

The car was insured for $13k. I love the car but I am also considering buying another and parting this one out. Ugh.

Attach file:

jpeg  (21.31 KB)
176913_5d65d94ddf519.jpeg 320X240 px

jpeg  (278.37 KB)
176913_5d65d97547cb1.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (288.51 KB)
176913_5d65d99669d6f.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (406.16 KB)
176913_5d65d9ba6e478.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (223.52 KB)
176913_5d65da3e085fc.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (279.01 KB)
176913_5d65da79dd45c.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (254.37 KB)
176913_5d65da99a5010.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/8/27 20:36
 Top  Print 

Re: My 1948 Deluxe was in a garage fire. Is it worth saving?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Sjscat, Wow, that is a terrible turn of events! After all the work you listed, it must be very disheartening, to say the least. Sorry that befell you. I don't know whether it is worth saving or not, but you say it is insured for $13K and if that is somewhere around it's market value, it might be worth getting a cheque from the insurance company, negotiating a buy-back and parting it out. Looks to be lots of valuable, salvageable parts on it and that, coupled with the net from your insurer, would probably go a long way towards another Packard. It always seems that the benefactors of a lot of our hard work and money are the 'next owners' and if you could find a 'good bones' car that has had some good work done to it, at a bargain price, you might end up the furthest ahead in the long run. Good luck, Chris.

Posted on: 2019/8/28 0:28
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Very sad and disheartening for you.

A chief deciding factor is if the body panels are warped and if the potmetal trim has melted and sagged.

That leaves it in the role of a first rate parts car, but even moving all the good things over to another shell is a tremendous amount of work. You should be able to buy a dandy 22nd series for $13000.

Posted on: 2019/8/28 7:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
How terrible for you and your Packard, my heart goes out to you. I hope you and your family were uninjured and had no losses of irreplaceable things such as family photos.

Its a tough call on whether to restore your '48 Deluxe given the damage suffered. Cleaning it up will help you better decide if sheet metal parts would need to be replaced first.

Its quite true that 22nd Series Eights touring sedans in fine condition are readily available for the insured value. Your choice whether you go through the restoration process or replace it with another car is not an easy one.

If you decide to part it out, there are many on here who would make good use of the salvageable components.

If replacement is your decision, check Various CL Pickings frequently, I often find very good examples to post. Shipping is reasonable enough for the right car.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/8/28 9:50
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Sid
See User information
I do not have the time anymore to do the body work and I was never great at it ever. I will see what needs doing. I am sad about the entire thing but it is just stuff. My family and I were not injured so we are thankful first and foremost for that.

I also really do not want to be in the parts business given that I live in suburbia but it would be a horrible shame to waste the parts on the car. The wood graining in the interior is excellent and original, as well as other parts.

There is an emotional, not a logical or financial, pull to restore the car. I am still waiting on Hagerty tell me what they want to do.

Posted on: 2019/8/28 11:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Packard Club News Bulletin came today with a rather spiffy 48 Custom in a very desirable (to my mind) color combination for $13K. That would be quite an upgrade. Not much from yours would transfer over other than incidentals but you'd have one of the last of Packard's old school luxury cars.

Posted on: 2019/8/28 16:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
The Customs were low production which makes sense as they were top of the line!! Grab that specimen. Its glorious 356 9 main bearing engine was just rebuilt..49K original miles.
505 453 8982

Posted on: 2019/8/29 9:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

If you decide to rebuild your car, maybe the '49 doors this fellow has would be of help:
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/d/saint-louis-1949-packard-car-doors-and/6941999849.html

Steve

Posted on: 2019/8/30 16:23
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Sid
See User information
It is being totaled by the insurance company. I will miss my Packard.

I will be eager to look at other 22nd and 23rd Touring sedans for sale.

Posted on: 2019/9/1 23:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sjscat,

Commiserations on the loss of your Packard.

Although you only recently listed it in the Registry, now sadly, the entry needs to be updated to reflect it's current "written off" status.

Posted on: 2019/9/2 1:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved