Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 wire wheels
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
By 55 400 is equipped with wire wheels I would like to know who was the manufacturer that provided wheels for Packard in 1955
Thanks

Attach file:

jpeg  (203.97 KB)
167018_5aef6174e6e0b.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/5/6 15:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 wire wheels
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Motor Wheel Corporation, a very long time supplier of wheels to Packard, back at least to the early 1930's if not earlier. The name is stamped into the wheel gutter, photo courtesy of Randy Berger.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.71 KB)
177_5aef7030d62fc.jpg 1354X502 px

Posted on: 2018/5/6 15:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

55packard400 wrote:
By 55 400 is equipped with wire wheels I would like to know who was the manufacturer that provided wheels for Packard in 1955
Thanks

As Owen said, Motor Wheel Company was supplier of original postwar wire wheels to Packards starting in 1953. Until recent years it was quite rare to see wires on any 1950s Packards-especially V8s since they were expensive when new and few people ordered them. However, since the introduction of reproduced wire wheels, it is almost a common sight now to see a postwar Packard equipped with wire wheels. There are presently far more post-WWII packards running around now with wires than there ever were when new.

Repop wires are slightly different and some have stainless spokes. Of course the center hub covers are painted instead of using the original reflective Scotchlite red hexagons.

Posted on: 2018/5/8 22:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
At one time, not too long ago you could purchase the scotchlite red hexs - can't remember who was selling them.

Posted on: 2018/5/8 23:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
At one time, not too long ago you could purchase the scotchlite red hexs - can't remember who was selling them.

PAC Store lists 3 sizes

Posted on: 2018/5/8 23:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thank you Howard!

Posted on: 2018/5/9 10:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Yes, repro wires are very prevalent these days, but we have been buying 53-56 Packards for almost 60 years. We have never bought a car with modern repro wire wheels and the vast majority, I'd say 90% of the 53-56 cars we've bought with orig wires were 55-56's... Many were 55-56 Carib convertibles others were mostly 400's.

We scrapped many cars with wire wheels and a good number of 56 Carib hardtops with the infamous "see through" disappeared top

Posted on: 2018/5/12 22:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My 56 Patrician came from the factory with wire wheels, but they were gone when I purchased the car. Car was ordered by a dealer for himself and he had it loaded.

Posted on: 2019/8/29 17:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
I'm guessing this is as good a time as any to haul this pair out to show.

These Packard wire wheel caps came off of original Packard Motor Wheel wire wheels in the 1970s. Notice the difference in the height of the domes.These are not reproductions.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has original (not repop) wire wheel caps that vary like these?

Attach file:

jpg  (202.00 KB)
1249_5d687a9b32b11.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/8/29 20:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
This discussion prompted me to take a closer look at the wire wheels with came with my 1956 Clipper Deluxe. Of course, these Junior cars never came with the factory option of wire wheels. It sounds like they were a fairly expensive option for the other 1950s Senior cars (except for Caribbeans?). The junior cars had different wheel stud spacing than seniors, so the factory (or repro) Packard wire wheels are not interchangeable. Mine were made to fit by welding Ford centres into the hubs (which have the same stud spacing as the junior cars). Quite a workmanlike job but obviously not original.

No sign of the Motor Wheel stamping on my rims, so they are presumably repros. The spokes are chrome plated steel - unlike many current repros. Maybe not a bad thing, given the reputation of stainless spokes. Although these ones are prone to corrosion. The hub covers are presumably also repros but look right. They are more like the "flat" profile in the picture.

These wheels were acquired and modified by a previous owner. They are at least 30 years old, and no idea where they came from.

Notwithstanding all of the above, I think that wire wheels improve the rather staid appearance of most 1950s Packards, which helps to explain their current popularity. Yes, they're wrong for my Clipper but they do look good so what the heck!

Brian

Attach file:

jpg  (410.74 KB)
191498_5d68a33608d83.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/8/29 23:17
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved