Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
52 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 200 Overdrive
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray Allegrezza
See User information
Hi Guys. I recently purchased a 1952 200 deluxe wiht overdrive. The car had sat for almost two years so I've dealt wiht a new battery, wiring issues, rebuilt generator, voltage regulator and today a major antifreeze leak. The car came with the factory OD and I have determined the relay is there and the fuse appears good. there is a bunch of wire on the firewaall that looks like it should go to the OD. Anybody have any tips or advice for a Packard newbie in terms of cost and difficulty of getting the OD functional? Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted on: 2019/9/2 12:14
 Top  Print 

Re: 1952 200 Overdrive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your car will have what Packard referred to as the R11 OD which is a Borg Warner unit also used by other mfgs but some items used with the OD were specific to Packard.

Aside from the relay there is the kickdown switch mounted low on the firewall and operated by the accelerator pedal. The extra wires could be for that item and if it is missing you can get a universal kickdown switch from Napa for around $30. The switch number is OD6284.

If the relay is bad, exact copy repro relays are available but are expensive. If you are not too worried about authenticity in look the R11 OD relay can be made functional with an inline fuse holder and a common aftermarket 30-40 amp cube type 6v relay from Newark Electronics or maybe ebay or a parts store instead of the repro. The other electrical items are on the OD unit and consist of the solenoid, lockout switch and governor. Solenoids are repro'd but not the governor as that was Packard specific. Lockout switches generally cause few if any issues but can be cleaned or repaired if needed.

Electrically, if the OD knob is pushed in the lockout switch on the OD will be closed. When the car reaches approx 20mph the governor will close and ground is passed thru the closed lockout switch and thru the normally closed contacts in the kickdown switch to bring in the relay. When the relay closes it will power the solenoid which will be ready to engage when the foot is let off the accelerator for a moment so the solenoid can fully move the pawl to block the sun gear to place the car in OD.

There is a generic service manual for the Borg Warner R11 OD you can download from the service manual section of the site Borg Warner Overdrive Manual and here is the 52 OD schematic showing physical layout of the components. You can also download the entire 52 (25th series) schematic from the wiring diagram section.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.06 KB)
209_5d6d578725495.jpg 1276X808 px

jpg  (47.66 KB)
209_5d6d8b9736435.jpg 768X593 px

Posted on: 2019/9/2 12:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1952 200 Overdrive
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray Allegrezza
See User information
thank you, thank you. this info is priceless and i really appreciate it.

Posted on: 2019/9/3 5:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved