Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Rear End /Bumper height
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I am trying to determine the correct height of the back of my 1940 Super 8 (1807).

It looks like it is riding too low in the back of the car. I don't know if that is the design, if I need to replace the leaf springs, or if I have another issue.

Thanks for your input.

Gar

Posted on: 2019/9/4 15:17
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Rear End /Bumper height
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When in doubt, try the shop manual. Riding heights are on page 49 of the 1940 160/180 Preliminary Shop Manual, available on this site, Measurements are from the ground to specified points on the frame.

Check your front springs, back in the day when the front springs sagged, spacers were jammed between the coils, raising the front and at the same time giving the appearance the rear was too low.

Posted on: 2019/9/4 17:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Owen- Thanks. I saw that in my manual but was looking for something that indicated ground to back bumper or frame member. The offset makes sense, I just had to think about it.
I have a preliminary manual, but I was waiting for the final manual release. I suppose I will be waiting a long time.

thanks again

Posted on: 2019/9/4 18:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I remeasured the rear height and I get over 7 1/2" on drivers side and 8" on the passengers side top of the rear axle. Spec call for 5.75" to 6.75". Prelim manual indeed...something is amiss.

Posted on: 2019/9/5 19:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your measurements are with the car properly ballasted?

How about a good side view photo of the car so we can see the posture? Weren't you suggesting it looked low in the rear? Don't your measurements show the opposite?

Posted on: 2019/9/5 19:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved