Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

288 swap for 327 - what's involved?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve
See User information
Can anyone advise on what's involved with removing the 288 motor out of a 22nd series car and replacing it with a '51 five-bearing 327? It's my understanding the blocks are either the same or very similar, but is the engine mounting the same? I'm assuming the standard shift transmission bolts the same to either one.

I went back through the forum looking for previous discussion on this topic; closest I found was the 356 327 327 288 discussion from 2013.

Many thanks for any assistance you can provide-

Posted on: 2019/9/7 13:04
 Top  Print 

Re: 288 swap for 327 - what's involved?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the blocks are essentially the same as far as most bolt holes in the front and rear but since there were two side motor mounts for 51 you will need to transfer the plate and probably timing cover -- essentially all the items for the single mount that are bolted to the front of the 288 block over to the 327 in order to provide the structure for the front motor mount. The water pumps are also different because the lower hood and wider radiator in 51 needed the fan repositioned so that will also need to change over.

If the 51 engine has an Ultramatic the bellhousing will need to change and if a standard, there may be a difference in length for the bellhousing because I believe the rear mount on the trans also changed to a single rear point in 51 so check that carefully or just change it over as well. Not sure how much of the clutch mechanism is the same so something else to think about.

Check the width of the fan belt. 51 may have a narrower belt or different pulley alignment than the 48 so the vibration damper may also need to swap. Don't forget to check the cleanliness and condition of the water distribution tube while you have the water pump off.

If the 48 has the Electromatic Clutch I am not sure if the bolt holes for the power cylinder mount will be drilled in the 327 block and also since the 51 has a different shift linkage the holes for the 48 linkage idler bracket assy may also be missing.

Posted on: 2019/9/7 17:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have bell housings from 1940 to the '50s and they are the same thickness so, if standard transmission, there should be no problem especially if using the original transmission. However, as Howard pointed out, if the car has Electromatic Clutch, the 327 would not have the mounts for the diaphragm assembly and the head wouldn't have the bosses where the control valve assembly mounted.

Posted on: 2019/9/8 21:31
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve
See User information
Thank you both for the excellent information. The '48 does not have an electromatic clutch, so no issue there, and the '51 was bolted to a standard transmission like the '48. I appreciate your help-

Posted on: 2019/9/8 21:40
1947 Custom Super Clipper coupe
1949 Deluxe Eight coupe
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved