Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'38 six cyl question wrong oil filter? Really ready to start
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

toymanbob
See User information
As you can see in the photo, the new filter from Kantor is wrong. Or, at least different from the old one. I am anxious so even contemplated bypassing the filter just to hear it run. Maturity set in. What's the info on the filter height difference and wonder if I can buy the new correct one from local auto parts. Thanks, Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (226.19 KB)
144730_5d744a6d5a24d.jpg 1441X1920 px

jpg  (249.74 KB)
144730_5d744a95d96e4.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/9/7 19:26
 Top  Print 

Re: '38 six cyl question wrong oil filter? Really ready to start
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The two most important dimensions of the elements are the outer and inner diameters. The outer to ensure the element fits inside the canister and still have a bit of space for flow and the side port is not blocked yet not be so small that the surface area is severely diminished. The inner diameter needs to have a snug fit around the center pipe so oil does not flow between the element and pipe.

Typically the prewar filters had the oil enter the filter thru the center pipe, go thru the filter element and exit the circumference and out the side port. Postwars changed that so the side port was the supply side. I suspect that might be so the greater surface area around the outer diameter could trap more dirt than the small center area giving a longer life to the element before the filter was too dirty to allow flow. Clogged filters were a problem with prewar 356 engines having hydraulic lifters and Packard even introduced a filter with a special valve that opened if the element became clogged so oil was not cut off to the lifters.

If you don't get a recommendation for a different element, as long as the element is snug on the center pipe and the height of the filter is not reduced enough to uncover any small holes that might be in the pipe then it should function satisfactorily. If the spring on the cap is not long enough to hold the shorter filter snugly on the bottom rest, some filters actually had a spacer which looked like a thick washer under the spring. A spacer could probably be added to yours if needed.

Posted on: 2019/9/7 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Well, I can't add anything to the filter technicalities of the replacement elements, but what I can suggest is clarifying what filter canister you have, and then what filter fits the canister, as Howard has carefully detailed.
As more of a footnote, both filters shown are totally incorrect for a 38, as the OEM Optional Purolator filter was of the disposable canister type.

Posted on: 2019/9/7 22:16
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

toymanbob
See User information
The wrong type of filter? Are you sure? This car has not been altered that I know of. Bob another photo

Attach file:

jpg  (223.14 KB)
144730_5d7474057dd0a.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/9/7 22:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
toymanbob wrote:.......This car has not been altered that I know of. Bob

Alternator and acorn head nuts aside? BTW there's an alternator on my Packard!

Posted on: 2019/9/8 5:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
The flackmaster is rarely incorrect. An incorrect or after market oil filter canister could easily be the problem as they were extra cost on most Packard Automobiles. Yours could have been from an outside supplier when the car was new or perhaps a respectful second or third owner...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/9/8 11:23
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

toymanbob
See User information
This is not my car but is the same year. My filter housing looks just like this one. So Dave, I'm unclear about "disposable canister" you mention. Isn't this one?

Attach file:

jpg  (368.42 KB)
144730_5d757c5e1c6d9.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/9/8 17:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
That appears to be the very common replaceable element Fram or AC canister style oil filter, no harm-no foul as being "period correct", but it is not the original disposable Purolator (PER 1/2 style) Packard supplied canister. I don't have the motivation right now to find a picture of what I describe - what is important is that you install the correct filter. That looks to me to be a FRAM unit, but I am basing that simply on color scheme...
Oh, and for what its worth, MUCH easier And Cheaper to source this replaceable canister style than the disposable canister that I describe. Easier to work with too...

DAF

Posted on: 2019/9/8 19:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The correct standard equipment filter is pictured in the 1938 Six and Eight Data Book, page 26 I believe. It's a very low mount, lower front of the crankcase, driver's side. The unit pictured in post #7 is not the correct filter and not mounted in the correct location. No reason to question what the correct original equipment was, just look at the pix in the Data Book.

Posted on: 2019/9/8 19:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Would one need any sort of orifice in the line to the filter with an add on oil filter on these engines? Mine has one someone added to it. It just has rubber lines connecting it. I thought about replacing them with metal lines to look more original.
John

Posted on: 2019/9/9 10:53
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved