Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: flooding carb on super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
My 1940 was flooding as well. I used a higher octane fuel (91 vs 87) as I wanted to use fuel without the ethanol. Unfortunately the higher octane fuel has a lower boiling point so fuel would flow into the carb after it was started.

Also, as Owen suggested, check the fuel pressure going to the carb. I believe it should be approx 3 lbs. If you use a electric fuel pump you may need a regulator to lower the pressure on it.

Posted on: 2019/9/11 21:39
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Troy
See User information
Everything is original. Vac tank will soon be removed and scoured, float repaired though it looks like it's working again. Started it for about 1 minute yesterday - choke open, hand throttle almost closed. While it was running the gas in the filter bowl (between gas tank and vac tank) turned black - apparently lots of sludge. I looked later and the upper layer of gas was clear, lower not. Hence 'sludge'. Main issue now - I need it to run long enough to back it out of the garage and turn it on the street to get it onto a flatbed next week. Then gas and vac tank will get cleaned out. Gas tank mainly a flush, I think (it was sand blasted a few years ago). But vac tank hasn't been really worked on in decades. Carb likely needs a quick flush too.

So I just need to figure out how to get it to run for 5 minutes. I will dump out the contents of the filter bowl; no idea what to do with it though.

FYI, this engine is the predecessor of the Super 8 - basically the same engine. Car was built as Packard transitioned from Series 2 to 3. Classified as 2, but has the windshield of the 3, built May 1926, sold a month later in Philly to a family that seems to have traded in a 1916 version.

Posted on: 2019/9/12 0:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi,

Just wanted to pop in and say that Daytona Parts just finished my carb and they did an amazing job. The gent there is a carburetor encyclopedia and is very, very helpful.

I got lucky as they are only 45 minutes away from where I live but the bulk of their business is done by mail.

-Crin

Posted on: 2019/9/15 16:10
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Troy
See User information
We're in Metro NYC area. No parts issue hopefully.

Posted on: 2019/9/15 19:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved