Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 183

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6-Volt Generator in Need of Rebuild
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
Hi all...
I would like to have my 6-volt Generator out of my 1927 5-33 Packard 6 rebuilt. I live in Annandale VA (northern VA). I can't find anyone around me that can rebuild this generator for me. I have found some that say they can, then I bring them the generator and they don't even know what it is. Can anyone please help me finding someone (closer to me is better, but nationwide ok) who 1) knows what they are doing, 2) can rebuild this generator for me?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rich

Posted on: 2019/9/12 9:07
 Top  Print 

Re: 6-Volt Generator in Need of Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
ACE Generator and Metroplex (in TX) both come to mind. I sure there are others listed on the packard org web site.

Metroplex is one company I have worked with before. Very knowledgeable and willing to take the time to explain all of your options over the phone. I recommend the rebuild vs the repair option. It will come back like new...

Gar

Posted on: 2019/9/12 9:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As the front generator bearing stays with the timing chain when you remove it, you'll want a shop with the special test bed to allow bench testing. One shop that makes a specialty of these Dyneto units is AER in Michigan.

Posted on: 2019/9/12 10:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi,

I had my generator transformed into a "gener-nator" by Don at this place:

http://www.gener-nator.com/index.htm

Everything on the outside looks stock with a one wire hook up 6V positive ground just as it was but on the inside it's an alternator. I have had a great experience with Don. He rebuilt my starter as well and they've been perfect for years.

Hope this helps,
Crin

Posted on: 2019/9/15 16:02
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
Thanks Guys...looking into these!

Posted on: 2019/9/19 4:35
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
Ok, contacted Metroplex, Jason at AER and Don at Gener-Nator....awaiting responses. Does anyone know what a "fair price" is to have these units rebuilt? It is a Owen Dyneto CG678.
Thanks,
Rich

Posted on: 2019/9/19 4:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Depends on the needs, can be anywhere from trivial and routine to very extensive, rewinding fields, repairing armatures, etc.

Posted on: 2019/9/19 10:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
I think mine was around $450. Like I tell my wife, it doesn't matter what it costs, it's Packard money... Like monopoly money... Lol...

Posted on: 2019/9/21 8:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Call Pryor electric in Philadelphia Pa they are good and should be able to rebuild it for a reasonable price their phone number is 215-338-1582

Posted on: 2019/9/30 20:57
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved