Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 68

Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door Pull 1947 Custom Super Clipper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rowand
See User information
Plastic missing on my door pulls. Suggestions? Don't know what color or finish or how attached.

Posted on: 2019/9/28 11:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Door Pull 1947 Custom Super Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe it was clear hard plastic originally but most have yellowed over the years. Many including myself have taken the old broken pieces off and replaced with a wrapping of clear tubing such as used in aquarium air lines and other machines that used small diameter tubing. Once the window molding is off the car the pull can be unscrewed from the molding on each side and then further disassembled by removing a screw at each end which holds the bar to the ends. Once the screws are out the long bar is free to work with.

The trick is to pull and kind of stretch to wrap the tubing very tightly around the bar to completely collapse it and also at the same time keep the loops tightly touching one another so the appearance mimics the original -- all while keeping the starting end from unravelling. I was able to use a screw and washer in one of the mounting holes to trap the tubing under the washer while doing the wrapping. I would practice a bit before cutting the length of tubing needed for the final wrap because if you wrap and then find it needs to be tighter any creases formed on the tubing by the bar will be noticeable if the tubing is moved and the creases land in a visible spot. Also take note that the wrap slant is different left and right sides and is always kind of leaning forward so you need to start it differently on the bar depending on the side you are working on. Once the wrap is done the next trick is to get the wrapped bar screwed back into the end pieces with the tubing still tight without one end coming loose.

I used Tygon B-44-3 tubing purchased from an ebay vendor but Amazon also sells it. It has been several years so ebay no longer has the order archived and I cannot remember the specific size bought. The most important dimension is the OD so the wrapped and collapsed width is flattened near to the original look. The tubing I have measures out about .158 OD when round so close to 5/32 which makes me believe I ordered a 3/32 ID clear tubing with 1/32 walls. The walls need to be fairly thin so there is not a lot of bulk when wrapped but still not paper thin like some of the vinyl tubing.

If you find something at a local pet or fish store check the outer diameter and try to get something close to 5/32. Some aquarium tubing is 3/16 and IMO, while 1/32 more width is not much, when I tried it I thought it looked just a tad large when wrapped as compared to the original. What I found locally was a very thin wall vinyl like tubing and that might have also made a difference when compared to the more cushiony thicker walled Tygon.

Here are a couple of crappy photos of what I wound up with but overall I am happy with the job. The slight cushion of the tubing feels good, is not too bulky and closely duplicates the look that was on my Custom.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.71 KB)
209_5d8fa1fbe0f70.jpg 1280X330 px

jpg  (26.17 KB)
209_5d8fa20821cd1.jpg 1280X193 px

Posted on: 2019/9/28 13:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day rowand,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '47 Custom Super Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/9/28 15:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Roland, I tried splitting plastic tubing in half, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. I found the full tubing was too thick for me so I tried splitting it in half. See my youtube video on it below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh8n8HEvTjU
Wes

Posted on: 2019/9/28 19:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
rowand,
for including your '47 Custom Super Clipper Eight Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. A georgeous looking Packard.

Note: I've taken the 'liberty' of:
1) Turning your photo right side up, and
2) Deleting the duplicate registry entry.

Posted on: 2019/9/29 17:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rowand
See User information
Thank you.

Posted on: 2019/9/29 19:29
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rowand
See User information
Great info. Thanks.

Ron

Posted on: 2019/9/29 19:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rowand
See User information
U-Tube excellent. Thanks. Ron

Posted on: 2019/9/29 19:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jameson
See User information
The plastic tubing on my '47 Custom was also in bad shape and most of it was missing on the pulls, so I went to the local pet store and bought some aquarium tubing to fix it. The passenger side wasn't too bad so I started with the driver's door -- the last time I was making a hard turn and cut the stuffings out of my knuckle in the process, so I knew it was time. Easy! Once I got the hang of it the job went extremely quickly, so I ended up doing the three other doors that afternoon. Very pleased with the results too, and they look so much better now. As I was wrapping the line I kept a good tension on it so that the tubing would flatten out and look stock in its appearance, then stuck each end under the bracket and tightened the screw to lock it into place. Screwed the door frame panel back into the door and each one has stayed put since I did them last summer.

Posted on: 2019/12/30 19:42
1947 Custom Supper Clipper 2106
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved