Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 39 Packard SIX Transmission mounts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Oh, and just to put it in perspective for those not familiar with shore durometer, 100 is the hardness of glass. Most polyurethane tires on forklifts are 90 duro and driving over a pea will jolt your dentures. The trade-off there is load carrying capacity which would be around twice that of a rubber tire in the 65 durometer range, but with a MUCH smoother ride.

Posted on: 2019/10/8 19:14
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yes, Howard, I totally agree with you on the mount in question here. I was hailing back to mine when I had them out and it was just a simple rubber slab vulcanized to a metal plate - very basic and, in my opinion was a good candidate for the cold bond method of attachment. Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/8 19:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Howard, you mention '60 & 70 are readily available today' and when I think back to the stuff we did, 65-67 seemed to the ideal flexibility/strength cutting line. Everything in engineering is a trade-off and the mid 60's seemed to be the best balance of cushion to holding power. Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/8 19:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I stopped at a rubber molding shop in Manteca, CA last Saturday to drop off a pair of driveshaft supports for re-vulcanizing and as I understood it, the material used is neither solid nor is it a poured-in liquid. It is apparently hot, soft but still solid and the pressure is what does the work. This may be an oversimplification and, of course, I've never tried any of the cold processes so can't compare.

Posted on: 2019/10/9 12:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
Give Fred a call at Max Merritt Auto ? 235 Terre Haute Street ? Franklin, IN 46131 ? Orders:800-472-2573
He got me one for a 37 115c

Posted on: 2019/10/17 0:29
Larry Reber
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved