Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 13 »

Re: A little Packard History from 1945
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
TP roll filters have been around for more than 50 years. The oil flows through the filter lengthwise, giving perfectly clean oil. They make a big version that uses paper towel rolls for big trucks, some have gone 500,000 miles or more without an oil change.

I have a friend who was responsible for all lubrication of machinery in a factory. They used similar filters but on a larger scale. Their tests proved used oil that had been through the filter, was cleaner and had less contaminants than brand new oil from a name brand oil company.

Posted on: 2019/10/9 2:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I was caught up in the "need to have this" mentality. In 1967 I bought a Sunbeam Tiger, the dealer convinced me that I "really need" this FRANZ oil filter that uses toilet paper as the filtering medium.....but only use single ply paper. I bought it, the dealer installed it. That was the beginning of my skeptical nature.

Posted on: 2019/10/9 8:53
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Glad to hear that I wasn't boring people and wasting space for nothing. Yes, I like to include the ads, because I find them interesting also. I saw one ad to paint your car by just wiping it with a special cloth, if life were just so easy.
Now that the the below paper talking about Packards Pan American this was in June of 1953.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.35 KB)
1003_5d9e26ea4c550.jpg 529X827 px

Posted on: 2019/10/9 13:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Information on the New 53 Packard.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (88.28 KB)
1003_5da34b94581d3.jpg 571X869 px

Posted on: 2019/10/13 11:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
New Oil Filter.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (96.68 KB)
1003_5da34bcbcc515.jpg 567X865 px

Posted on: 2019/10/13 11:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't think I have ever seen one of those bronze filters. Wonder if it actually made it to market or how popular it might have been over the country. Maybe a regional thing like hang on window swamp coolers? The coolers were popular in the dry southwest but I would imagine humid East coast climates might not have seen many.

Posted on: 2019/10/13 11:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
When I was really really young, my dad bought a Buick to power his saw mill and when we opened the oil filter canister we pulled out a full roll of toilet paper all soaked with oil. So I can say that I have seen that but not the bronze filter.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/10/13 13:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...They make a big version that uses paper towel rolls for big trucks, some have gone 500,000 miles or more without an oil change...

Yes Rusty, but closer inspection reveals, that big trucks are often long-distance trucks and as such they are cold-started 75% to 85% less than cars. And they are driven every day for many hours within the best speed range on the highway by the help of cruise control. And every diesel engine has glow plugs and many trucks have a preheating unit. And truck drivers are professional drivers. And after a couple of 100,000 miles it is usual to refill every once in a while the one or another liter oil and with that the oil gets a continuing refresh.
There is no oil filter which balance the chemical losses of ageing oil.

Posted on: 2019/10/13 14:04
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I don't know how I missed posting this, but after seeing a few question about the Easamatic Bakes I figured I would post this here.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/10/21 15:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To go along with the power brake writeup here is a 53 commercial with the power brake part starting at about 36 seconds in. Assuming there is no artistic license the Packard spiel of just needing to rotate the foot and lightly touching the pedal with a toe would seem to be true. Notice the distance the pedal moves before the obvious hard pedal as the shoes stop moving and contact the drums.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMgriMYCtNc

Posted on: 2019/10/21 16:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 13 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved