Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 45

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starter switch
Just popping in
Just popping in

Iain M.
See User information
1940 120 - having a problem with the starter button and cannot figure out how to remove it. Any ideas? Thanks

Posted on: 2019/10/19 13:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Starter switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Iain,

You'll have to take the nuts off the back side of the switch on the backside of the dash. Then push it towards the front of the car through the hole enough to disconnect the two wires.

The spare starter button in photo is courtesy of flackmaster.

The square headed screws that hold it in place are wedged between the controls coverplate and the dashboard behind it.

Someone with more knowledge may ask you what seems to be wrong with the starter button. Basically it needs to be tight to form a good ground and the wires tightly connected. You could disconnect the battery, attach clips to the two connections on the switch and check the continuity or remove the switch and check the continuity. I've found these are pretty hearty switches.

Attach file:

jpg  (89.92 KB)
1067_5dab5e93cda03.jpg 640X640 px

jpg  (70.69 KB)
1067_5dab5ea37c8b9.jpg 640X640 px

jpg  (103.18 KB)
1067_5dab5eb119c84.jpg 640X640 px

jpg  (178.60 KB)
1067_5dab5ebe001ee.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2019/10/19 14:06
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Iain M.
See User information
Thanks for this. I think I'd have to be able to see the nuts to remove them - I can't even see them for all the other stuff in between, including the cowl vent lever. How much stuff do I have to remove to get at them??

The switch works sometimes, but not well on cool, damp days. I think there must be a bit of corrosion on it or something.

Starter works fine when I jump the battery to the solenoid. Figure it must be the switch.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2019/10/20 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
You shouldn't have to remove anything, but you need to see the nuts.

Get one of those LED rechargeable light sticks or some other small LED light source with a magnet to hold it in place and shining back from the heater or firewall. Disconnect your battery and move other wires away from the back of the button.

Get a 3/8th socket screwdriver and push it up there on the nut.

I sometimes remove the front seat cushion, put a pillow or styrofoam pipe insulation over the front seat frame rail so it doesn't hurt my back. Put a couple pillows against the firewall. Put your feet out the passenger door and rest your head on the pillows looking into the backside of the dash.

You can access the lightswitch connections this way, too. I used to try it upside down with the cushions in place and my feet over the back cushion, but this other way is easier for me.

Posted on: 2019/10/20 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
That's quite the 'visual' Joe - but it definitely sounds comfortable! Anyone who has spent any amount of time 'under the dash' of these cars will appreciate your 'perch'approach! LOL
Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/21 0:50
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved