Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 Six, hole in back of block is for???
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Got my engine back from the engine shop today. Looking over it with the engine builder, I asked what came out of that hole.
He said he had no idea.

I am 99% certain I did not remove anything from this ~ 5/16" un-threaded thru hole into the valve galley.

I suspect that when I pulled the engine out, it was caked with gunk and I didn't see the hole. Anyone know what this hole on the back of the block is for? Larger 1" threaded hole on the right goes to the cranck case breather

Thanks in advance

John

Attach file:

jpg  (65.15 KB)
111944_5daf9ccba3078.jpg 1008X756 px

Posted on: 2019/10/22 19:21
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Six, hole in back of block is for???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
John, that it is unthreaded is quite strange. I just had mine out and rebuilt too and did not notice anything like that. I'm sure someone will chime in here with the correct answer. In the meantime, that is sure a pretty block, all rebuilt and ready to go back in!! Something about a clean, freshly machined motor... Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/22 20:04
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I count 9 ports. 3 shared intake ports and 6 separate exhaust ports??
John

Posted on: 2019/10/22 21:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
That is correct, two outmost ports are exhaust, then an intake then two exhausts and one more intake dead center

Posted on: 2019/10/22 21:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Yes, a clean engine is a beautiful sight. Looking forward to washing this down tomorrow and painting it and commence final assembly. While engine was at shop, my Dad had always wanted a pristine engine bay. So in memoriam of my Dad, knocked all down to bare metal, painted chassis, firewall primed, will be painted this weekend, etc. Rewiring as required with cloth covered wire, patching miscellaneous holes etc. Should be a pretty sight when back together.

Figured out that mysterious hole, holds an internal splash shield, see photo

And a general question to the forum.

This came out in pieces, engine then transmission. I plane on bolting it all together before putting it back in, figuring I would never get that pilot bushing aligned under the car.

Comments anyone?

Attach file:

jpg  (67.75 KB)
111944_5dafb9bbe32a2.jpg 756X1008 px

Posted on: 2019/10/22 21:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
John, Glad you got 'the hole' figured out. Just as a side-comment to your one-piece intentions when putting everything back in, that's what I did and I would say it is far and away the easiest. That being said, I had my clutch disc re-sintered at a clutch house up here in Canada. The old one looked okay and the pressure plate, same, so I just put it all back in. Once the car was driving, I had a terrible chatter from that 'new' clutch disc. I ended up pulling the transmission out and installing a new pressure plate and disc from Kanters. I did this crawling around under the car with it on jackstands and was able to align the spline/shaft and pilot bearing. So yes, it can certainly be done, but I would sure try to do it in one piece, if possible. (P.S. I'm sure your Dad is smiling about that engine bay!) Chris.

Posted on: 2019/10/22 23:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks Chris

Any experience putting this engine on a stand? Kinda concerned with weight and cantilevered length and resultant stress on bell housing mounting bolt holes

-John

Posted on: 2019/10/23 10:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi John, No, an engine stand is not a luxury I enjoy with my very limited shop/tool selection. I just made a wooden stand for the engine, that could be fork-lifted and used a borrowed davit-arm style hydraulic engine lift on wheels to hoist and lower it into the engine bay. All worked okay, albeit rather basic. I just bought some more property adjacent to my place and will be building a nice, big double car garage/shop. THEN I will get some of the 'toys' to make this all a little easier. Might even invest in an above-ground hoist!! Good luck with your re-install - post some pictures, would love to see the progress as it comes together. Chris.

Posted on: 2019/10/23 13:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Posted on: 2019/10/23 15:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Very informative, thanks!

Already had engine mounted on stand before I read this. Goal was to get it painted and install oil pan and then put it back on the engine hoist for final assembly. SO, engine got painted, will put pan on tomorrow and then off the stand for final assembly

Thanks!

Posted on: 2019/10/23 19:45
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved