Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

WANTED radiator 1936 packard 120
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Usmc1936
See User information
I have a radiator already, but the stinking shop wants over $900 to fix it. Can anyone save me from the most likely inevitability of spending $900 for a radiator rebuild? If it helps I will give you the old one. This is my last attempt before I go broke (but at least I'll have a radiator). Thank you all again.

Posted on: 2019/10/23 15:36
 Top  Print   

Re: WANTED radiator 1936 packard 120
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Someone please remind me, were the 1936 "120" radiators cellular or tube and fin? If cellular, $900 is probably a bargain price, if tube and fin it's perhaps $200-300 more than local cost here for a tube and fin recore.

Posted on: 2019/10/23 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Dave, can you set me straight here? I see all the back and forth on the two types of radiator cores - is one better than the other or are we just talking keeping things original here? I had my rad recored with, I believe, 'tube and fin' coring and the guy told me it would cool better than what was in there. Not sure if my '39 started out with 'cellular' core (I don't even know what that is) or if it was just an old version of the modern day tube and fin, But I could not tell the difference looking at my rad after it came back; it cools extremely well and cost about $575 US. The outfit called Brassworks sells new, complete radiators for Packards for around $900. If a guy was stuck having to pay around that to fix an old one, why not consider junking it and just going with a repro?? I DO know that rad shops per se, are becoming rarer and harder to find. If they think they have you in any kind of a corner, they'd likely try and put the screws to you, I suppose. Chris.
http://www.thebrassworks.net/shop/Restored-&-Fabricated-Radiators-Packard-Radiators/c10_53/p664/1936-Packard-Radiator/product_info.html?osCsid=9089ae90f15a0cc4c7a20a0dfaa5ce04

Posted on: 2019/10/23 18:37
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The OP didn't explain what "fix" meant, I took it to mean recore but if a fin and tube, I suppose it could have meant to "rod" it, meaning to to clear build-up within the tubes by running a rod thru them. If a cellular, "fix" really couldn't mean anything other than a new core. Saying what "fix" entailed would have helped our understanding.

Cellular radiators are often called honeycomb radiators, rather obvious just looking at the construction as interlocking hexagonal "cells", the water flow is obviously not in a straight line but follows the walls of the cells. Just Google "cellular radiator" and you'll find plenty of reading and illustrations. Just two different approaches heat-exchanging.

Posted on: 2019/10/23 19:18
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Usmc1936
See User information
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, fix as in recore the radiator, and fix the leaks.

Posted on: 2019/10/23 21:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Suggest you consider a new aluminum radiator which would also allow for a pressurized system. About $600 if I recall..

I remind you I am your local go to resource...just very limited availability lately due to tornado in my neighborhood.

Posted on: 2019/10/23 23:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I have a 1936 120 radiator sitting here. PM me if you're interested.

Posted on: 2019/10/23 23:08
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Usmc1936
See User information
I sent you a PM, not sure if you received it or not

Posted on: 2019/10/24 14:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

flackmaster wrote:
Suggest you consider a new aluminum radiator which would also allow for a pressurized system. About $600 if I recall..

I remind you I am your local go to resource...just very limited availability lately due to tornado in my neighborhood.

David, I was shocked to see all the damage and destruction in the Richardson and University Park areas. Lucky no one was killed. Did not realize you lived in that area. Glad to hear you are okay. Did you suffer any damage or just dealing with collateral damage? Take care...

Posted on: 2019/10/24 18:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved