Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 and 1950 custom fastbacks
Just popping in
Just popping in

judge
See User information
Hi,

I have a 1948 custom eight fastback.
I want to fit 1950 custom eight taillights and side moldings to it.
Will they fit?

Judge

Posted on: 2019/10/24 4:13
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 and 1950 custom fastbacks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Judge,
First post, so to PackardInfo. But sorry I can't help with your query.

However, I invite you to include your '48 Custom Eight in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/10/24 4:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes they will bolt on but the tail lights will not cover the spot where your old lights were.

Are you going to keep the old lower trim lines or delete them? I'd often thought that filling in between them with brushed stainless panels would be a great looking touch and easy to do. Personally, the raised trimline on the 23d series always brought to mind a fat lady in stretch pants wearing a silver mylar belt for it slimming effect.

Posted on: 2019/10/24 6:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Hope you think long and hard before doing that. You have a rare bird there. Many years ago I came across a Custom convertible with that modification. To me it looked like someone cleaned out the chrome isle at Pep Boys. Just my opinion... it's your ride. If you do remove the lower trim, try to save it for someone that may want to revert back; it may help when/if you go to sell.
Mike

Posted on: 2019/10/24 7:14
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
well put comment. It's your car and the modification is not an awful one, but it will decrease the value by the cost of reversing it, which means filling holes and painting.

Posted on: 2019/10/24 9:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Judge

Bathtub Packards models are often confused with one another. If you truly have a Custom Eight Club Sedan, they are extremely rare. The estimate of survivors in the US of 22nd series in the US is less than twenty, perhaps twelve to fourteen . There were over 1100 Packards at the Packard Centennial in 1999, but no Custom Eight Club Sedans.

The production off the 23rd series Custom Eights was much lower: the Custom Eight was a very slow seller as it was more expensive than a Cadillac. By 1950 Cadillac had the OHV V-8 and Packard would not have one for another 5 years. I have never heard of an existing 23rd series Custom Eight Club Sedan .

Parts of the side trim on the Custom Eight Club sedans are different from the junior cars and are unobtainable. I have a friend who was reasonably well connected and he was unable to find a small piece 20 years ago and it was for a 22nd series. I imagine you would have to have parts fabricated for your project.

I am very fond of the Custom Eights. They are magnificent beasts and significant automobiles. I just spent a wad on my 1948 sedan to install a rebuilt engine and rebuild the transmission . Getting it done was somewhat of a challenge but I am lucky to have a number of knowledgeable and well connected friends.

Best of luck with your car

John Harley

Posted on: 2019/10/24 10:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
I second all the advice you've received from others, proceed carefully. The Custom Eight club sedans are rare birds, '48-'49 22nd Series scarce as the proverbial hen's teeth,

If your Custom Eight club sedan is titled as a 1950,it must have been due to distance and selling date as Packard had dropped the two door club sedan from the '49-'50 23rd Series Custom model line. Only the four door touring sedan and two door convertible Victoria continued.

In order to utilize trim from the curtailed Custom production, Packard added the 23rd Series Super Deluxe which has the lattice grill front and rear giving a similar appearance. The model is 2375, an estimated 325 were built.

Please tell us more about your two rare Packards. If they're RHD, they're genuine unicorns.

Cheers

Steve

Posted on: 2019/10/24 11:39
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Steve

I knew that about the 23rd series Custom Eights but forgot to remember. That may explain why I have not seen any.

Best
John Harley

Posted on: 2019/10/24 12:21
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved