Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Water Injection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Just saw this in Popular Mechanics Sept 1953, not water(H2O) but H2O2. Anyone ever tried this?
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (103.80 KB)
1003_5db20884aa14d.jpg 565X865 px

Posted on: 2019/10/24 15:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The water decarbonization trick is a long time practice, especially for underhood fire jobs. In fact we had a company car with a carbon knock recently where I walked by and showed it to the youngsters who never heard of it.

Whether hydrogen peroxide is better I don't know and the blurb as no supporting documentation.

Posted on: 2019/10/25 6:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
As it's a stronger oxidizer it may well be better, but the stuff sold in the store is typically a 3% solution, so is also water injection anyway

Posted on: 2019/10/25 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The usual answer:

"It worked so well the big corporations bought up the patent and kept it a secret."

Same with water injection. If it were a really workable solution, it would be designed in on each engine or would be government mandated. Just look at diesel engine BlueDef fluid. The owners hate the hassle and the fleets hate the expense, but it's required by regulation.

jack vines

Posted on: 2019/10/25 11:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I seem to recall that in the early 1960s the tubro supercharged Olds F-85s used a water injection system while the turbo'ed Corvairs did not use any. I also recall squirting a water mist into a running engine to get rid of some of the carbon build-up. Maybe someone here has had experience with a water-injected engine. All that is new is old and ...

Posted on: 2019/10/25 13:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The Olds injection fluid was a water-alcohol mix

Posted on: 2019/10/25 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The rate of decomposition of H2O2 is increased violently by rust. Dave (O_D) and other chemists may call this a catalyzed reaction. Heat comes into being and oxygen is released rapidly, a part of the water even vaporized. Impressive but not really helpful.

Posted on: 2019/10/25 21:05
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved