Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

29tons, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 - Voltage Regulator takes a couple of minutes to start working
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Phil Eaton
See User information
I have a 1949 Super Eight with a 327 and I just installed a new Voltage Regulator. If the car has been sitting for a while (few days) and I start it up, the Voltage Regulator does not start working (i.e. Amp Gauge is showing discharge) for 1.5 to 2 minutes, then it starts working. If I turn off the engine, then restart it right away, the voltage regulator will still be working (i.e. Amp Gauge is showing charging). Then if I let the car sit until it is cold again, it does the same thing (does not work for a couple of minutes). Do I just need to get another Voltage Regulator or could there be something else going on? Thanks.

Posted on: 2019/10/27 13:32
 Top  Print 

Re: 1949 - Voltage Regulator takes a couple of minutes to start working
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you tried polarizing the generator? The generator needs a residual bit of magnetism to start working which is established or reinforced by the polarizing procedure. One of the repair instructions say to repolarize any time something in the generator circuit such as the generator or regulator is worked on, changed or disconnected. It is also possible the regulator is not the correct one for the car. There are positive and negative ground regulators although no one has to the best of my knowledge adequately explained any difference in construction between them vs one that is labeled universal. If yours is the wrong one that might explain what is going on but that is only speculation.

In these 51 instructions from the SM, A terminal is labeled ARMature or GEN on the regulator, B terminal is BAT. With everything hooked up but engine off momentarily use a short jumper wire of 14 or 16ga to short the terminals together. There will be a small spark and the short does not need to be held more than a second or so. Be sure of the terminals used so you DO NOT inadvertently connect anything to the FLD terminal. It may not help if there is a problem with the regulator but done properly the procedure will not hurt anything either.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.36 KB)
209_5db5ebb707ab5.jpg 632X196 px

Posted on: 2019/10/27 14:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Phil Eaton
See User information
Thanks for the response. Yes, I did polarize the generator after I installed the new Voltage Regulator and hooked the battery back up.

Posted on: 2019/10/28 6:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Could it be that the generator brushes themselves are sticking or the commutator dirty? If so, it might take a couple minutes to warm-up and make a good connection.

Posted on: 2019/10/30 14:37
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Phil Eaton
See User information
Thanks for the response. I have a new Voltage Regulator on order (since that is when the problem starting happening). If that does not fix it, I'll start looking at the Generator itself.

Posted on: 2019/10/30 15:23
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Phil Eaton
See User information
Installed a new Voltage Regulator and that fixed the issue. Thanks for everyone's input.

Posted on: 2019/11/17 18:32
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved