Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Sealing Manifold Gaskets???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Do you think it might be coming from where the Intake portion of the manifold sets on top of the Exhaust Manifold? I believe there's a gasket between the two halves. I forgot what you can use to spray around leaks but what happens is the engine speeds up then you have found your leak.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/10/28 20:47
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
I suspect that is the area but it is making a boiling kettle whistling sound. How can you get that from a vacuum flow?

Posted on: 2019/10/28 20:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Paka40, Can I ask why your are completely convinced it is an intake 'whistle'?? Not that a bad intake leak couldn't create a whistling noise, but I would think it more likely to be an exhaust leak. One thing you can do is, with the engine cold, start it up and you will have at least a minute before things get too hot to touch. If you put your hands around the the exhaust manifold to intermediate pipe joint, you'll definitely be able to feel a leak there, if its exhaust. you can also CAREFULLY run a finger around the manifold to block joint and see if anything is 'blowing' (if its whistling, it should be blowing enough to feel the leak) Then as Wes is suggesting, you can spray the intake/exhaust where it enters the engine to see if either the whistling stops or is somewhat interrupted; that would be the leak source. And, Wesley, I am trying to remember, in that join between intake and exhaust manifolds, is there any 'live' intake or exhaust flow there? - I seem to remember it just being a 'blank' connection. Yes, there's a gasket there, but what would leak there if it wasn't sealing?? I'm getting forgetful in my old age! And, definitely be careful Paka40, as things can heat up quite quickly and you don't want to get burned!! Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/28 22:20
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
A whistle would definitely point to a vacuum leak but as I recall there is nothing between the exhaust and intake manifolds that can cause it. The seam between them is just a closed cavity as Chris pointed out, used to transfer heat to the choke and as I recall, to the heat-riser. With it running you can try spraying a tiny amount of starting fluid in different places and when you hit the bit that is leaking, it should run a bit faster. There might be something else preferred over starting fluid but it's been too long and I've forgotten all the little tricks I once knew!

Posted on: 2019/10/29 1:19
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
Thanks everyone. ..I took a hollow 3 foot by half inch pipe and listened for the whistle and it was at its loudest at the exhaust to the intake block. Using the pipe I didn't get burnt... I applied muffler cement around the exhaust to intake manifold block gasket. We went for a test drive and did not hear the whistle. At higher speeds very slight engine surging seems to also be gone.
Thanks for all your help once again.

Posted on: 2019/10/29 8:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
This is a picture of someone else on this forum that had a leak and this is where the gasket goes between the two halves. The intake manifold would be solid where they mate together.
The picture shows a crack in his exhaust manifold
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (33.76 KB)
1003_5db8a00c84029.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2019/10/29 15:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You don't seal manifold gaskets. Rather than patching and hiding a problem, it's best to find out what the actual problem is and fix it properly! As Wes point out and nicely illustrated, it could very well be a crack and may fail completely and unexpectedly when out driving so best take it apart and find the problem while you can.

Posted on: 2019/10/29 15:37
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
Believe it or not...our ambitions are to drive this car everyday and without part availablity we have to "McKiver" until parts arrive. Thanks for the picture and your time...

Posted on: 2019/10/29 15:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
What do you mean "without parts availability"? I'm not sure which year your car is but you can buy about anything you need for the 245 engines. I have trouble finding parts for my 1965 Imperial LeBaron but Packards, even prewar, are fairly easy to get whatever you want which, of course, doesn't mean it is inexpensive.

Posted on: 2019/10/29 16:47
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

doug madden
See User information
I am in Ontario Canada..1940 barn find. Don't get excited..it will get fixed right it's just a winter project. For now this fix is working. Snow is on the way in a week or two.

Posted on: 2019/10/29 16:56
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved